Chapter 8

To be exact, my arm is not painful, but stiff, so I have to rotate it around like I am carrying a heavy bag on my shoulders.

That's weird. I don't remember holding anything heavy here.

When I touch my aching shoulders—

Don't tell me?

Only then did I see my sleeve has touched the ground.

Oh my God.

What the hell is this?

I'm dressed a casual, unbelievably dull dress for the morning. The dress seems to be from the closet of "Catherine's Recommended Dress Worthy of the Duke's dignity."

It's not light or dark enough to be black. Specifically, it's dark brown.

There's white frill around the neck that even my grandmother would hate.

Is this for a nun?

No, ot's even worse when compares to one worn by a monk.

Does she not have eyes... Oh, my God.

No matter how much I look at it, I shake my head at the strange, quaint outfit.

I feel like I could see misery pouring out of me without looking in the mirror.

How the hell did you live like this, Abella?

To be honest, it's too far from the Abella Diago that I read about.

For her to be ignored by this person or that person like it's normal, and then be treated like nothing but a rock that one kicks, everything's too different from the book.

In the novel, Abella Diago was said to have indescribable beauty. It was her, who not only insulted Abigail, the good heroine, but also made everyone an enemy because of her fierce personality and love of luxury and pleasure.

She died a pitiful death at the end of the story. The time I spent reading about her, my blood pressure had gone up more than once—

When I became her, all of these frustrating characters became useless.

A true hostess who perseveres through all the insults hurling toward her while she embraces her subordinate with love—

That's some bullshit.

To me, that person would have be a fool.

A fool who let Catherine misled her and only did as she was told.

Catherine controlled Abella's behavior by saying, 'You don't know anything, so just stay still.'

Did this dress belong to the duke's mother?

Catherine had a very close relationship to the former duchess. Before the wedding, she gave Abella a message—Don't forget that I am the previous duchess' head maid. I work only for her.

I can't confirm if what she said is true or not, but perhaps that's why I've always felt like the old lady's face is floating on Catherine's shoulders.

Are you the old lady?

It's certain that the former duchess is a figure who isn't even mentioned properly in Abella's memory or even in the novel.

However, I'm sure that Lord Dane said widows have to be buried with their husbands, so how is the previous duchess alive?

Come to think of it, something is not matching up.