Chapter 14

Erst is the maiden name of the former Duchess of Diago.

Princess Regina Erst, the current emperor's sister and former Duchess of Diago, she then became Madame Erst, not mother or duchess.

Just like that, Charles, the current Duke of Diago, makes a direct statement that there's no more connection between him and his mother.

This is equivalent to the sky is falling down for Catherine.

No matter how many times the former duchess comes and goes, this is the first time that Charles has mentioned and corrected the title himself.

"No, I might have to call her princess again. I'll have to ask again about the title," says Charles, turning his head toward me. "Wife."

"Yes, your grace?"

"Though I somewhat understand the situation, what exactly is the problem?"

Charles's curiosity blocks Catherine's retreat because she thought that she could away with by just mentioning the former duchess.

"Hmm, I don't know."

I then look at Catherine after making an evasive remark.

She seems to not fully grasped the situation since she still looks at me with a frustrated expression.

No, what sin am I guilty of? I don't understand why you look at me like you're killing me.

I'm getting pissed off.

The thought fills my head. I swallow most of the words I want to say. My lips thin in frustration but I can't very well scream like a mad woman with this beautiful appearance, now can I?

"There's nothing wrong with listening to someone's explanation. No one has done anything wrong."

I stare at Charles with a modest smile, gracefully restraining my speech as much as possible. "If I had just walked away quietly, there wouldn't have been such a fuss."

"..."

"I have ordered Curtis to watch out for Wicking Wardrobe. When I heard the story, it seems that Curtis have spoken to them. And Catherine—"

I then look over to Catherine, whose brown eyes are still furious. "She was just acting on her master's orders."

"..."

"That's why nobody did anything wrong. Each person is loyal to their own master." I then shrug my shoulders. "If I really have to say what is wrong."

"Your words of 'if I have to say' make me nervous." He then bursts into laughter, recalling that I said something similar a few days ago during meal time.

"Is that so?"

The previous, icy atmosphere becomes calmer.

I then look at Curtis, and says in a soft voice. "It's Curtis' fault."

"Yes, that's right."

At my words, Curtis lowers his head without saying anything else to Charles.

"I should have checked things out to the last minute. It was my mistake that I didn't do the final confirmation."

"I see."

Catherine stands on the side like she's invisible since Charles, Curtis and I are too busy conversing to notice her face flushing with anger.

This is a blow to Catherine. In the space with Rose, her two advisors and the maids of Lapel Castle, she stands there without any presence at all. The news of Charles calling his mother Madame Erst will spread, especially among the maids.