Chapter 43

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

Marissa shrugs her shoulders and lifts the hot teacup in front of her.

"... "

It seems that I'm not the only one who didn't think it sounded like a joke.

They said that your relationship was not good.

I breath out briefly as I watch Marissa casually mentions Charles' death in her mouth.

Because what she was trying to say is divorce, a hot topic between me and Charles these days.

Is that the death of Charles?

I try to shake off the thoughts that pop up in my head

"It's a good thing, isn't it?"

She laughs and shrugs again.

"The misfortune that occurs every time I come didn't happen this time."

"... "

"After listening to the story, it makes sense why I don't come to Lapel often."

"So that's the reason."

I then nod a couple of times and raise my head, trying very hard to make a thoughtful expression.

"From what others said, Miss Evangeline often visited Lapel Castle. Oh, of course, this happened before I married—but she was surprised that her visit this time was unusual."

"Oh my goodness, is it?" I click my tongue and gaze at Marissa, trying as much as possible to look thoughtful.

"If those things happen every time she comes, it's no wonder she feels bad."

"... "

"Don't worry, Your Grace. There won't be anything bad in the future. Rather, it will only be full of good things. Who knows, we might have something to celebrate when your children are born."

Yeah, this won't happen again.

Is it because I started comforting her that she feels she can say anything?

"Is that so?"

"Yes, so from now on, there won't be anymore pressure, right?"

"Honestly, there's nothing like that..."

All right, I'm caught. I've indirectly stepped into her wish of asking me about the divorce.

"Just like any other marriages, much like your own, there's nothing like that going on with our relationship."

I deliberately stop midway and flash a bright smile.

"Isn't that right, Lady Marissa?"

"... "

"Every day is like a battlefield, right? Which couple don't argue, make peace, scream divorce only to turn around and say I love you, and act like nothing is wrong?"

I try to insinuate that the rumors of our divorce started from nothing more than a small argument between a husband and wife.

"...I see."

Marissa contemplates my words then curves the corner of her lips into a small smile.

"Ha."

She then shakes her head with a laugh, as if asking herself what she's doing.

"Your Grace."

As if she has heard all the stories she wanted to hear, Marissa stands up and calls out to me.