Chapter 34

It takes a moment for her to react.

"... What?"

She gives a vague smile as if she didn't expect a no.

"I've decided to gather only the wives without any young children this time."

"Ah, I know all of them, so I'll say hello—"

"I'll make a separate seat for you later, princess."

"No, at once, on that day."

"No."

I shake my head and say again in louder voice.

"... ... ."

Evangeline's expression crumbles. The same could be said for Catherine.

I smile, acting as if I don't know anything.

The offended Evangeline jumps up from her seat. She then stands there and stares at me.

Thoughts appear in my head—

You're blocking the sun.

Lejan told me that I need to have a lot of sunlight.

I had felt good today.

"Princess, are you going to keep standing there?"

"Why?"

"No, I'm thinking of going somewhere else if you're going to stay in the sun like that."

I say politely and carefully even though she has been unfriendly.

"Are you telling me to move aside?"

She gives a sharp reply, full of animosity.

No, I was thoughtful enough to offer to move if you wanted to stay put.

"I never said that."

"No? Are you taking back what you said?"

"I don't say things then take it back, princess."

I almost couldn't stop myself from telling her that she's twisting things. However, my words have already made her sensitive enough.

"Then are you saying that I'm twisting your words?"

What's wrong with you? When did I say that?

"No."

I'm really trying hard to restrain myself from straying from my role, feeling like aristocratic for the first time in my life.

"Ha! That's really amazing."

She keeps getting on my nerve.

"I'm tired of talking to someone who hasn't learn the proper way of speaking."

I was in a very good mood today, but she keeps poking at my self control.

"Princess."

You don't feel bad one bit, do you?

"When I was baroness, I didn't care how the princess treated me. However, I am now the hostess of the Duke of Diago. My status is higher than a princess. How you're behaving in front of me—"

"... ... ."

"I think it's rude, don't you?"

Silence falls.

Evangeline's face reddens as if it wants to crack while Catherine is also having a hard time controlling her face as well.

Her reaction is like a child whose view the world as something that revolves around her. After all, she was born and raised preciously in a duke's household. She's now being criticized for her rudeness by a baroness.