Chapter 42

"The marquis' wife?"

"Yes."

What's going on?

No, maybe she's becoming a regular character.

Even though it's already been a week since Marissa has arrived in Lapel, I've been a little curious because there was no sign of anything amiss.

Evangeline poured out her animosity toward me upon arrival, but Marissa...She's been too quiet.

In addition, she has unreadable expressions, not that I have time to read it.

"Alright."

After giving her my answer, I watch as the maid leaves Lian Garden and take a bite out of my cookie.

What kind of character is she?

She's definitely not a chatty or minor character like Evangeline.

Be calm. Just make sure to act properly so you can escape.

You must be the one who is most similar to the former duchess. The trust between you two must be strong.

Ergel affirmed this when I asked if Marisa came to Lapel by the will of the former duchess.

You wouldn't come to the Lapel for any other reason than that.

Because you don't get along well with me.

"Hmm."

I put the remaining cookie into my mouth, rubbing my thumb and index finger to shake off the powder on them.

What did Evangeline mention to the capital that made Marissa come here?

I don't think it's only because Catherine was demoted.

No matter how much the former duchess cared for Catherine, it's unlikely that she would do something contrary to Charles, her only son's will, because of a maid.

Of course, you're already against Charles' marriage to me.

It's about all the marriage of families.

It isn't that I couldn't understand her objection.

From what I've heard, the former duchess has a lot of affection for her son. Of course, because of his marriage to Abella, that love slightly cracked.

For now, her children seem to be the top priority.

But, the question I thought of the last time comes back to me. I missed an important detail before because I was busy thinking about getting a new outfit.

Didn't the novel say that all the widows are buried with their husband? How did the former duchess survive after the death of the former duke?

As soon as Charles died, Abella was put in a coffin and died along with him.

Why are you alive?

I could make various assumptions.

Is it because Abella had no successor, and the former duchess had a successor?

Then, who did all that property go to after Abella died?

It was true that he died without a successor and was deprived of his status and power.

However, not all the property and territories of the Diago Family were taken away.

Yes, that wealth that he can't stop boasting about.