Chapter 44

Every time I go to the ranch, piles of rotting potatoes bother my eyes.

I couldn't ask about these things because many things have happened one after another.

Why are they rotting?

If it's only one or two of them, I would have thought that it isn't a big deal. However, piles after piles, on top of each other, makes it look like someone purposely letting them rot day in and day out.

No, why the hell do they have to be so delicious?

I keep thinking that there might be a reason because it doesn't make any sense.

Since there is a little food shortage in the winter, why do they rot? Lapel's winter is said to be extremely cold and snowy. Therefore, there's no other food that can be stored as well as potatoes.

In addition, it tastes good and is good for cooking.

It can be steamed or boiled and can be eaten with a little bit of salt or sugar during the winter.

It's the best.

There's not a snack like that for the cold.

I look up at Ergel, wondering why perfectly good potatoes are being neglected.

"Potatoes?"

As if she does not understand my question, Ergel doesn't hide it from her face.

"What is that?"

She seems oblivious to what I'm referring to while I'm not understanding her reply.

"Huh?"

"I'm not sure what Your Grace said. What was rotting near the barn? Is that food to eat?"

"... "

You don't know potatoes?

At the moment, a thousand thoughts pass through my head.

Isn't that a potato rotting around the barn or is it just a stone?

No, it was definitely a potato.

Is that word different here? Should not I say potato? Or did I accidentally speak Korean?

Confused, I tilt my head and put my teacup down.

"Potatoes...um...Potatoes?"

"What is it?"

This is a little weird.

"Right, it's food that grows in the ground."

I should explain what potatoes are first.

"It grows like a root in the ground, and it is round. There are bumps and things like that on it. Anyway, it's a plant that grows underground—"

That's pretty much it.

"Ahhh."

Ergel nods as if she knows what I was explaining.

"You mean the devil's plant."

She turns potatoes into demons.

"The devil's plant?"

How did my beloved potatoes turn into a devil?

"Yes, you mean the brown plant that grows in the ground? It's round."

"Maybe?"

"It's a devil's plant, Your Grace. It's not something to eat."

"Why?"

" ...... What?"

At the moment, Ergel's eyes seem to ask why she has to explain about the devil's plant.