Chapter 106

I feel out of breath even though I haven't done anything.

"Abella."

Charles's voice that calls out for me sounds like a hum, as if I'm submerged under water.

In the midst of that, his distorted expression and darkening eyes that are looking at me with curiosity become clearer and clearer.

His expression hardens so I can't tell whether he is angry or surprised. I then take a deep breath.

I have to say something.

I have to say that it's nothing, but I can't open my mouth.

It's as if my mind has malfunctioned. I really can't think of anything, so I continue holding on to the end of Charles's sleeve helplessly—

"..."

He looks at his sleeve for a moment and then stares at me.

"Why, what's going on?"

"..."

Nothing at all.

I shake my head slightly and bite my lip. I need to do the right thing first—

I need to get out of here.

Because I can't hold eye contact with him forever.

Let's think.

I bite down on my lips even more because I can't properly breathe.

"What the hell did you see?"

Then, the moment he turns his head again and tries to move his body away,

"Oh, it hurts."

Words of pain come out of my mouth involuntarily.

A sense of shame runs through my mind for a moment, chastising myself that this is the only improvisation that I can come up with.

Oh no.

Other than this, I can't think of any other way to hold onto him, so I grab my stomach with a pained expression.

"Ah..."

As if to show how painful it is, I grab on tighter at the ends of his sleeves and stagger slightly,

"Suddenly?"

Next to Charles, who's been supporting my body with his shoulders, Evangeline helps me out as she taps me.

Despite her words, Charles's eyes are only on me.

In that gaze—

"Your Grace."

I lift my head up, showing as much pain as possible.

Without me trying to make it look worse, I can tell that my condition looks quite serious to him just by looking at his expression.

Please.

Let's get out of here quickly.

"Your—"

Before the words can even come out of my mouth, Charles puts his arms under my knees and then gently lifts me up.

Despite Charles's expression, I still worry that he might see Abigail and follow the woman with long silver hair with his eyes.

Still, I close my eyes tightly at the sight of her standing at the entrance.

Is it inevitable?

The most powerful, magical setting between them is falling in love at first sight.

What if Charles sees Abigail here and falls for her like he did in the novel?