Chapter 83

"Every time I change the sterilization temperature, you charge me money

"Every time I change the sterilization temperature, you charge me money."

"It is the value of just labor."

"Don't you keep asking me to buy new magic stones even though you don't need them?"

"Because there are very subtle differences between them."

"Does the cost for the business trip make sense every time you come here from your hometown?"

"Originally, the amount was set in proportion to the distance..."

"It should depend on how long it'd take!"

I retort back in a loud voice.

Even if they implement and obeys Korea labor law and sets an allowance for moving, it wouldn't be this much.

How much of a crazy, money obsessed person are you?

Right.

"And!"

I point my index finger as if I'm trying to pierce Hortman.

I have really thought that this was something I'd ask someday, and not today.

"Why does Red Hair, Mustache, and White Beard come and ask for money, too?"

"...Oh my, when did they?"

"Three days ago, seven days ago, ten days ago, and eleven days ago."

"..."

"Do I need to say more?"

"Evidence—"

"Yes, there are many!"

After I started working, I've never forgotten to keep a diary of my work, so if he's to ask me, I can give him a log of things I keep track of.

All I did was gathered everyone who worked and ask them if they've seen Hortman for the day.

"What?"

"Do you think there are only one or two witnesses?"

"That's it...They're your people so they could be lying—"

"Ha!"

At the moment, I feel the back of my neck getting hot, so I grab it.

"Right...Maybe the duchess had asked them to talk like that."

"Hoo—"

(T/N: she's breathing y'all... literally translation is literally this...IDK what to tell you...)

Right.

There were people in my company who are like this, coming out so brazenly.

From people who didn't do what they were supposed to and told others to do their job instead, to those who don't want to be blamed so they add lies to get promoted.

When you meet such people—

"Then, explain what has been done so far."

"..."

Like getting putting a fake façade at work.

I have seen and experienced many people doing this.

These types of people don't put in the minimum of effort.

For example, what did you do today, how far you went, what the client or boss ordered you to do, etc.

If you are a person who puts in at least that much effort, then I can tolerate this kind of behavior to some extend.

Most of them don't.

"Hortman?"

Like this one.

"Well, milk pasteurization was successful."

"Then what is the temperature at which the milk is sterilized? Red—"

"It's red 70."

As expected.

"Red 70?"

I nod at Hortman's words.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"You are funny."

I reply, staring at him. Horman steps back two feet and wipes the sweat from his forehead, but I catch him in time.

"It's blue 30."

I take two steps closer.

Refuses to admit defeat, Hortman swallows his dry saliva, and looks over at Charles.

"Haha, I must have been mistaken. I know it, too. Blue 30. Yes."

"That's funny."

This time, I obviously stare at him straight in his eyes as I spit it out.

Hortman turns away, coughing uncomfortably.

"I was frustrated when I saw the bill."

I blink my eyes innocently.

"But, did you get a chance to see it?"

(H) "Did you see it?"

"..."

(H) "Do you know how to read the statement?"

You—

To his core, he's a bastard who ignores all human beings.

Shoes red like a Siberian husky.

I chant profanities quietly in my head.

"Yes."

Glaring at him, I continue speaking.

I can see Leo shaking his shoulders from afar.

I can't resist cursing.

So, I use milder words.

But—

(A) "Did you think I wouldn't catch something like this?"

"No, of course not."

"..."

"Because I thought it was just something to show others, I thought you wouldn't look at it, so I didn't think it mattered."

Unsurprisingly, Hortman nods and says quietly to himself. "What a surprised."

Of course, Charles, Curtis and I hear him.

"I'm sorry."

Hortman then bows his head like a player. Not a stiff bow, but a deep bend, straight from the waist—

"..."

I'm dumbfounded.

Isn't it just awhile ago where you jumped around, asking when you did something like this?

What a sudden change in behavior.

How ridiculous.

I then look up at Charles.

"Wife."

"Yes?"

"You can do whatever you want."

Charles inadvertently hands the right to dispose of him over to me.

Hortman quickly lifts his head to see if it'd be in his best interest whether or not I have such right.

"Your Excellency?"

He turns to Charles, hoping that he'd make the judgment.

But, it's one thing he misunderstood.

"If you do not pay the remaining amount in this statement before being driven out, I will be contacting by the elders in the tower. I'll talk to them about what's been happening—"

"Your Excellency!"

"Then, the tower will take care of you."

"Please."

"And a second thing..."

Charles locks eyes with me before he gives Hortman another glance, pausing on what seems to be already a beautiful statement.

"The first condition is already tempting, but I'm looking forward to the second condition. The tower will be charged for all the pay you've been given so far."

"Your Excellency!"

Hortman's screaming voice begins drawing attention from those nearby.

Usually when I'm in conflict with someone else, and Charles is present, things tend to get bigger.

Funnily enough.

"If you charge the tower right away, I will be a lot of trouble."

"He could really die, Your Excellency."

Turning hopeful at my words, Hortman looks over.

But—

"That's none of my business, though."

Then, I look away from him.

"What's next?"

"With that in mind, you should sign an employment contract."

"Oh my!"

At the same time, I almost shout out, 'Can you do that?'

Not long ago, I remembered his pretense of saying that Hortman would use transportation magic to the capital for free.

Is this the big picture?

When I stare at Charles with suspicion, he curves up one corner of his mouth and avoids the gaze of the devastated Hortman

Wink?

He winks with one eye.

(T/N: yes, that's how winking works. Otherwise it's just blinking.)

It happens so fast.

I think my eyes saw it wrong.

I then bite my lips when I feel the tips of my ears burning.

"Your Excellency, how in the world can there be a nobleman who enslaves a powerful wizard like this?"

"It's not an enslavement, but an employment."

"Isn't that the same thing?"

"It's different. Because slaves have no free will, and hired workers have free will."

"What kind of free will do I have when I'm hired like this? I'd rather die in the hands of the elders of the tower!"

Hortman shakes his head firmly as if he can never accept it. In response to his steadfastness, Charles looks at me.

"That's right."

"Shall we try again for the second time?"

"Your Grace!"

I frown before bursting with laughter.

"Aw, that's a surprise!"

"I was wrong."

He suddenly kneels down.

Beside Ergel and Catherine, this is the third person to do so.

I don't think the ranch and I are in sync.

No, Lapel Castle itself doesn't match me.

It's not just the ranch.

As if breaking off my arrogant misconceptions—

"Please, save me."

Hortman looks up pitifully.

Seeing the arrogant, powerful wizard, Green Cape Hortman dying like this...

The elders of the tower must be more powerful.

Will they really kill him?

"Whether it's really the second or third time, I'll die right away if I'm caught by the elders of the tower."

"Then you can make a choice."

"What?"

"Would it be better to die at the tower, or to work peacefully at our Lapel Castle?"

After listening to all of the previous stories, Hortman's expression slightly hardened at my attitude of speaking to him with a bright smile.

How are you going to deal with this situation?

I gaze at him thoughtfully as I politely gather both hands in front of me, looking forward to hear what he has to say.

"..."

I can see dozens of emotions passing by on Hortman's face.

"Well then—"

What he says is...

"Would it be possible to get a short-term contract?"

"..."

"Don't tell me you're looking for an arms contract."

As a last act of desperation, Hortman alternates glances between me and Charles, as if it may be his last hope.

"Isn't it too much of a vicious move for an employer to tie me to a lifetime employment contract?"

Hortman laughs as if he's swallowing a hard laugh.

Smiling and nodding.

"Yes! So, half a year—"

"..."

"Three years would be good."

"Three years?"

He grins at Hortman's absurdly high-pitched voice.

"Why, is it too short? Should I have to do it for about 10 years, Your Excellency?"

He hands the ball to Charles.

But,

"I was thinking about 20 years."

He takes it a step further.

Well, that's the art of negotiation.

"What will you do?"

"Three years..."

After a long sigh, Hortman gets up from his spot and brushes off the dirt and dust from his whole body. He then touches his forehead and transform back to what he previously looked like before kneeling. He raises his nose.

"Yes."

A confident attitude as if he has signed a contract on equal footing.

"Of course, there is no down payment."

I laugh.

.

.

.

.

T/N: first of all, the dialog took forever to understand so I really try to give you hint on who's talking with their name abbreviated. Hopefully that helped.

secondly,  Charles showing he has brain cells and lacking them in the same breath. Lol. I love the team up. One reads them for filth and one traps them in an unfair contract by threatening their life...

 One reads them for filth and one traps them in an unfair contract by threatening their life