Chapter 70

Chapter 5

Chapter 5. Should I Run Away?

.

.

Tweet—The birds chirp as the ladies gather round at the tea table set in the Green Garden. They talk about an interesting topic.

"The National Founding Festival is going to be unprecedentedly grand."

"It's because Prince Michael, the 2nd prince, has won a great victory at the Battle of Cordelli, right?"

"Not only that, his Majesty is so pleased upon hearing about the victory that he even issued a commemorative coin with the face of His Majesty the Second Prince."

"Oh, is that so?"

"He was given the coin by His Majesty himself, and do you know how he looks?"

I couldn't bring myself to say that he's handsome as the smiling Marquise Libier spreads her feather fan to cover her face.

"It's true that His Majesty Michael is ugly."

"Yes. Compared to His Majesty Kyle..."

Each of the wives, who have already visited the Imperial Palace, smiles awkwardly as if they understand Mrs. Libier's words.

"By the way, would His Majesty Kyle really be engaged to an orphan rather than our Duke's Young Lady?"

"Oh my god, is she an orphan?"

"I heard that she's a baroness, isn't she?"

"What about a baroness? She's a foster daughter."

There's fuss coming from an unknown noble's wife, who continues with her eyes wide open as if she doesn't know at all.

"Oh my God, really?"

"Then, will the orphan really become the royal princess?"

"I think so."

"Even if it's a poor baron's daughter..."

Marquise Libier does not shake her head as if she's sad. Instead, she bites her lips as she looks at me in the eyes.

"Hmm."

The ladies, who have gathered here and raised their voice joining in the conversation, shut their mouths.

The words 'a poor baron's daughter' seem to sound like they are insulting me.

Though, I haven't said anything except for the first greeting—

You must have noticed it.

The wives, who stop talking behind my back, glance at each other and lift their tea cups.

As if to fill in the gap of the stalled conversation, a story about another lady begins again, and the atmosphere becomes comfortable once more between them.

Except for me, who's going crazy because it's awkward.

"Hu—"

It's awkward. I think that I'm going to be tired out.

It's really my mistake to assume that it'd be just like chatting with my older sisters at a coffee shop.

As I listen to all the wives' conversations that have started even before I sat down, I feel like my soul is gradually running away from me.

It's really different from a tea party in Ropan where I thought I just needed to just share refreshments with some of the ladies and laugh.

Not only that, I have to sit here like an elegant lady, laughing and responding on cues.

I'm going to go crazy.

This is so cheesy!

It's a different atmosphere from what I felt with Charles and the people of Lapel.

Even though I've singled out and picked the wives who are kind to me, this is—I don't think I can endure a meeting like this.

I want to run away quickly.

I promise I will never do it twice, or at least I am sure I will never it attend alone—

"Huuu—"

Let's take a long sigh.

"The story is a little boring."

Count Violetta Ingrid, who's sitting next to me, smiles lightly and leans over.

"In the social world, Mrs. Libier is famous for making interesting conversations, but the downside is that once she starts talking, she doesn't stop."

I give a gentle smile at Violetta's tender words as she points at Marquise Libier.

"Hmm—No."

I shake my head.

"Rather, it seems that I've made you uncomfortable by thinking about something else."

"No, not at all, Your Grace."

I loosen my shoulders after I confess so. The wives then stare at each other after they listen to my words.

"So, where were we?"

Like an attempt to suppress my convulsion whenever I'm near a clown, I smile slightly, pulling the corners of my mouth upward.

"I think we've lost the flow for a little bit."

I think we should wrap this up as I look around.

"We were talking about His Majesty Kyle's lover, Your Grace."

The marquise's explanation that she was talking about Abigail makes my mouth stiff.

"If it's His Majesty Kyle—"

"His Majesty the Fourth Prince, Your Grace. His love story might surpass the Duke and his wife."

"No matter how detailed their story is in the newspaper, I still say that the duke is the most romantic ever—"

"Keuk—"

But, the young lady couldn't finish her words and instead, she bites her lips tightly in a burst of laughter.

I must be patient.

I nod at the marquise who stopped with her mouth slightly open.

With the meaning of, 'Hurry up and finish.'

Then she, who has been looking at me for a while, slowly glances away and continues.

"I was thinking that His Majesty Kyle is one of the best."

"Oh, come on. He's still famous for the anecdote of handpicking flowers from the garden and presented them to his wife—"

"Heuk—"

I have to bite my tongue at the mention of 'his wife'.

Otherwise, I think I'll laugh out loud.

This is driving me crazy, but I have to hold it in.

Nevertheless, laughter seems to be coming out like a deflated balloon. I wonder if I should pinch my thighs.

"Isn't it too insignificant?"

I hear the words that would wash away those worries.

"She's just a baron's foster daughter. I'm telling you. Her status is way too low."

She's a woman about the same age as Evangeline, or maybe a year or two older. She pretends that she's talking to herself even though she's using a very high quality sarcastic tone.

Isn't this Countess Miriam Oliva?

I turn my head to get a proper look at her.

She's also dressed differently.

Adorned with luxurious feather fans and jewels, her splendor bedazzles me.

I think you've put a lot of effort in coming here.

With a jewel as large as her neck, I think I'd get mine dislocated if I was her.

Her earrings that look heavy enough to make the earlobes droop to rings, bracelets, and gems embedded in dresses.

It must be heavy.

Even if it's heavy, as long as it's pretty, she'll be recognized as a fashionista who wears clothes regardless of the weather.

Well—

To be honest, Miriam's fashion's like a grandmother who I often saw in Korea.

Why aren't there typical wives with all the gold rings on their ten fingers?

But, if you like it, then I respect your taste.

I wouldn't do it for me.

Just as I'm deciding whether I like or dislike her—

"A vulgar, fake baroness, who has flirted with a stupid, old man to become his daughter so she can try to catch a man, as a crown princess."

Hmmm?

I turn my head back to the malicious, backstabbing words that grab me by the nape of my neck.

Haven't I heard this a lot somewhere?

I think I heard this from a Korean drama.

"I don't know what this world is coming to."

Oh! This, too!

Let's tilt our head a bit and observe Miriam's skill of insulting someone while worrying about the world at large.

"You need to be careful with what you say, Madam."

Countess Ingrid Violetta rebukes.

"To gossip about someone who isn't here—"

"Are you taking her side now?"

Lifting her head, Miriam raises her voice sharply as her eyes tremble lightly.

"Didn't you hear what happened to the princess?"

"What—?"

"The fake is a shameless woman who stole His Majesty Kyle from Evangeline!"

Haizz.

I can't believe I felt familiarity with her way of speaking.

You are friends with my sister-in-law?

No wonder her eyes were on me.

What did Evangeline say about me?

I'm sure she must have cursed to her heart's content.

By the way, the mothers of the Counts' daughters who I saw a few days ago—

You are here.

Maybe they've heard something from their daughters so they haven't interrupted and stayed quiet.

Inwardly, I turn my head to compliment their wit.

Apart from my dislike, Miriam's attack on Violetta doesn't seem appropriate.

Since I am still here.

Before I was a duchess, I didn't have the right to be a host of such an event.

"I can't feel sorry for the princess who I haven't seen since I was young."

"Alright, that's it."

I raise my right hand slightly and look at Miriam.

"Let it go, Lady Miriam."

"......"

"It doesn't seem inappropriate, as Lady Ingrid has said, to call someone a fake or an unscrupulous person when they're not even here."

"Your Grace!"

Using the momentum of the moment, it feels like I've stood up from my spot—

"If you want to go back now, you can go, Lady Miriam."

I smile tenderly and point my hand toward the road outside.

The gestures seem amicable but the weight behind the words aren't.

No, maybe it's a scarier choice.

It is yours to choose, but if you get up and go out now, you won't be able to come in again.

At least I think she can understand that much.

"... "

She bites her lips without saying or doing anything.

You seem to understand it well.

That's what women's language is like.

In that sense, it seems that the situation has sorted itself out.

"Tea...?"

She raises her head a little while and exchanges a brief eye greeting with Violetta.

"Of course."

Shall I do what I wanted to do today?

"Pope?"

"Yes, Your Grace?"

"I would like to change the tea, and I feel hungry."

"Shall we add new refreshments?"

"Yes, and I'd like to ask for milk tea."

.

.

.

.

T/N: We are now on chapter 5 and it only took forever and a year. I'm so glad that we're getting Abella possibly gaining a new friend...Also, birds of a feather really flock together y'all because Evangeline's friend doesn't seem better than her.