Chapter 6

Catherine makes an appearance herself after she heard about what happened in this room from Libby. She comes along with a string of maids.

'What an uneducated and poor family.'

I could see Catherine's expression vividly as she kicks her way into my room.

She probably has brought more maids and made a speech about how hard it is for her to serve a duchess, how it's a difference between heaven and earth from the predecessors.

By sneaking insults at me, the duchess, she's saying that she's has the upper hand.

Then she'll try to take a shot at me and pressure me to apologize to Libby.

What should I do?

Catherine's desire for an apology from me won't come out, and the tranquility I seek is now long gone.

She bites her lips to keep from smiling as she narrows her eyes.

"Catherine?"

"Your grace, what is this shallow act that is not worthy of the duchess?"

"..."

Shallow?

I lift my head, keeping my expression neutral for a moment so that I can think of a strong reply. Catherine, on the other hand, looks down at me with an arrogant expression, and continues to speak with her chin up.

"You said you wouldn't get up, so how long on are you going to sleep for? I'm a not a—"

"Catherine."

I raise my hand as if I have just woken up and blink as if I knew nothing. "What do you mean?"

"...."

"I just woke up because of you. I didn't say that I wouldn't get up."

"Lies!"

Standing triumphantly behind Catherine's back, Libby raises her voice with a fretful expression from hearing my words.

"It's a lie, head maid!"

I look at Libby's face, then at Catherine, slightly tilting my head as if I don't know what's wrong with her.

"I was just lying down because I wasn't feeling well... I have no idea what the situation is. Can you explain it to me?" I then look back at Catherine as as innocently as possible, pretending not to have a single clue.

I see Libby behind Catherine's back. She's apprehensive because of my behavior. "Head maid! You know me!" Libby puts her hand on her chest as if to plead that she's telling the truth. She then says in one breath. "All that I've said is true, head maid. I woke her up because she didn't wake up, but she said that she was not going to wake up and will sleep the whole time."

"Catherine."

She was quietly listening then she turns her head suddenly.

Seeing her already frowned face and firm mouth, it seems that she seemed to realize her plan failed. "Yes, your grace."

"Yes, right, Katherine." I look unwaveringly at Catherine. "It seems that I'm still your duchess."

"Oh, thank goodness." Her smile is bright, but of course, it doesn't look so innocent. "Yes, what is it?"

"No, I'm just wondering if you are still mistaking me for the nasty, young baroness who first came to Lapel Castle."

"... ..."

Catherine, who's surprised at my words, hides it with a smile and exhales sharply. No matter how many times she has been disrespectful with her words and actions before, now there's too large of an audience to do so. "...Of course not."