Chapter 75

No, that must have been all you've been thinking about since the moment I said that I'd let you go

Negative thoughts come into Charles' head like a collapsed bank.

Is it really like that, Abella?

If so—

Shouldn't I let her go?

If that's what made her different.

"... "

Abella's bright expression, running around and playing with Leo from beyond the balcony, is an expression he has never seen before she spoke of divorcing.

Because of that look—what has made you changed?

Charles bites his lower lip.

If that is the reason why she has completely changed, she must have been a bright and energetic person in the first place.

What am I supposed to do?

He sighs, resigned to the emotions he couldn't answer himself.

I've never been curious about her.

At best, the feelings toward her were only pity.

He suddenly laughs at himself as he watches her like someone who has intruded into her daily life.

What am I doing now?

He couldn't take his eyes off the image of Abella standing under the balcony, one that she has never shown to him herself.

You're crazy.

Charles laughs and shakes his head.

Still, his gaze is—

Have you always known how to make a face like that?

His eyes fixate on her happy, smiling face. It's unfamiliar to see her like that while talking with the child, but he doesn't hate it.

Is it because she's cute?

With a smirk, Charles turns his head when—

"... "

Abella, who suddenly raises her head at Leo's whisper, looks up exactly to where he is. Having listened to Leo's whispering words, she narrows her brows with a blush.

Charles gets up and holds onto the railing with both hands.

"Let's go in."

Abella blocks Leo's ears and wanders behind the child, hurriedly moving along.

"Your Grace~~"

Leo looks at Charles and Abella and laughs pleasantly.

He's curious about the story of the two, and why they're happy to see each other smile.

Charles turn around, expecting to see her—

"Your Excellency."

Edgar puckers his brows together and brings his face in closer.

"What?"

"Are you drinking alcohol this late in the day?"

"... "

"No, it can't be."

Edgar straightens himself and tilts his head.

"Your tolerance is usually enormous."

"What's your point?"

"Your face is very red. Like a drunk person."

He immediately looks away as the tip of his ears turn warmer.

"Are you really drunk?"

Edgar asks before he leaves.

.

.

A few days later.

"Curtis, Ergel."

I rest my hand on my waist as I stand in front of a capable butler and a seasoned maid.

"I think I can do anything with only you two."

"... "

Doesn't this feel like I'm Director Fury assembling some sort of Avengers team?

"You know that I trust you two a lot, right?"

"Is that so?"

Curtis laughs at her with a suspicious tone.

"Oh, yes! If I don't trust you two in Lapel Castle, then who can I trust?"

"......"

"In that case, a charity event."

Now that I've laid the groundwork, I gather my hands politely in front to get to the point.

"The small details, Curtis."

Curtis's first.

"Yes, Your Grace."

"You know, I don't know anything. Whom to send the invitation to? This is a lot different from when we decided to call only the princess's friends, right?"

"That's right."

"Because I've never really held a charity event..."

Even in Korea, it's something I had never done before.

The combination of me and Abella, who has never been to a charity event or party either...

"Curtis should take care of it."

I'm right to fall back on my own.

As I've felt in my previous life, I don't have to pretend to know what I didn't know just because I'm someone from elsewhere.

It's better to stay out of the way.

"... "

"I'll trust Curtis."

This isn't pushing work to Curtis. It's about sacrificing for the efficiency of getting things done.

Since I don't know what's going on, I'll just leave it alone.

"Yes, Your Grace."

I smile at his answer, lowering my head a bit.

"Thank you. Now, next is Ergel."

Turning to her, I lower my hand and give her a polite glance.

"I have no idea how to prepare for a garden party."

I purse my lips.

"What to pack and how to prepare, can Ergel take care of it for me?"

"But—"

"No buts."

I shake my head firmly. Originally, for banquets and tea parties, the hostess has to touch everything from beginning to end, but I can't.

"I won't say anything like I hate this or I hate that. I won't do that either. So, do whatever you want, Ergel. Anything you want!"

Nodding, I unconventionally give her all authority.

As I always say, I don't need to know everything. I can't even do it if I want to. At least, I know myself well enough to know that much.

"Yes, Your Grace."

Good!

"Now, then—"

The next batter up is Pope, whose parents love poplar trees.

"I think Pope will take care of other small details, right?"

I turn toward Pope.

Other people have said they'll do it, so of course you should too.

Of course.

As a maid of mine, of course that's a given.

"Will you do it?"

Let's blink our eyes and speak in a voice mixed with aegyo, but not too aegyo.

"But, you'll make the final decision."

A blunt answer flies out of Pope. Because she says it indifferently, it's difficult to tell whether she would do it or not.

"We are just helping out."

"Yes, only helping out."

I nod, thinking that's enough.

"The only thing we can help you with is basic preparation, and on the day of the event, you have to do everything by yourself."

Pope comes out of nowhere and hits me right in the guts. The fact that I have been trying hard to put it off by thinking that it would work just fine.

I have to play this game alone. The coaching staff doesn't want to join.

It's a very big problem.

"How am I going to do that?"

Yeah, that's the biggest problem right now.

"... "

I have to deal with all of them by myself, watch out for Evangeline and Catherine's fuss, promote milk, and sell milk tea at a high price in the meantime.

The problem that I can't even determine how many roles I have to play alone.

If I have noble friends, I would share some of the work.

Maybe I should ask Violetta, who I met a few days ago at the tea party, to do this with me.

We're not close enough.

Most of all, this is something I have to do as the hostess of the event and couldn't leave it to the guests.
But, to think of co-hosting with Evangeline—

It's good if I don't get into an accident.

Or maybe I can beat her properly this time.

Monitoring Evangeline is definitely one of the things I have to do. It would be nice if I could order someone to do this.

Hmm.

I fold my arms and touch my chin with my finger. I wonder how to allocate the resources for my tasks.

No, don't I have the best aide of all?

I look back at Curtis as the right person that comes to my mind at the moment.

"Curtis?"

"Yes."

"Is His Grace busy that day?"

"Nothing special is happening that day."

Yeah, I almost forgot.

My closest friend.

His Grace, who told me to do everything I want to do.

"Then, I should invite His Grace as well."

"His Excellency doesn't attend the banquet."

"It's still a farewell party for his sister."

"He hates banquets enough that he didn't worry about going to his younger sister's engagement banquet."

(T/N: Buchangbusu is a way of life in which the wife follows the example set by her husband, the wife concurring in the husband's opinion[ideas] for conjugal harmony)

Now the situation is quite different, isn't it?

I didn't say that I wanted to hold a banquet, and, strictly speaking, I'm forced into it by my in-laws.

You must come even if you don't like it, Charles Diago.

"Then, wouldn't it be a huge topic if there are rumors that His Grace will be coming to this banquet?"

"If that happens, all the nobles in the Lapel Estate will try to attend."

Then, it's a banquet attended by lords, so you'll have to come, show your face, and shabashaba.

(T/N: 샤바샤바도 is meaningless sounds originated from a limerick about Cinderella, whose parents died and she was molested by her stepsister/mother... it's dark... I hate this author sometimes with this shit T^T
Cinderella lost her parents when she was young.
She was molested by her stepmother and sisters.
Shabashaba Ai (Yay/Hai) Shabba (or Shabashaba Al-Sabba) How sad she must have cried.
Shabashaba Aishabha thousand ninety-eighties (or poor Cinderella[27], when will the prince meet?
)

That would raise a lot of money and—wouldn't you be able to promote my business too?

Isn't the original way of marketing being word of mouth?

There are already rumors about increasing numbers of people who want to buy milk and milk tea. If this spreads throughout the province—

Awesome. Then, it may not be necessary to receive alimony.

Then I won't have to beg for a divorce because I can just pay for it and disappear.

"Then, let's spread rumors that His Grace will be present."

I see Curtis holding back his beating heart.

"What?"

"Let's do this right."

Curtis narrows his brows as if he doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

"Did you say His Excellency is coming?"

"No."

"But—"

"Maybe he'll come."

"How?"

"I'm going to invite him."

You know, His Grace will let me do everything I want to do!

Right then, I couldn't just say anything but laugh at the two of them.

"Your Grace, someone has come in from the Wicking Wardrobe."

Very good news comes just in time.

"You tell them to come in!"

.

.

.

.

T/N: First of all, y'all, my boi Charles was right. She really gonna make alimony and run away lol no one knows you better than the one who's falling in love with you, I guess.