Chapter 49

"I think the Farhan side contacted us first."

Edgar's voice sticks with each, slow step Charles takes as he makes his way down the corridor in a constant pace.

"I think there must have been prior communication with Abella. Otherwise, the timing of the divorce is frankly too out of the blue."

"So, what did I tell you? You must hurry up and make a choice."

The longer Edgar's words continue, the slower Charles' pace becomes.

When I first heard the story, I said it was useless and to leave it alone.

"... "

Now, my thoughts have spiraled out of control.

Abella?

Even though I thought that it didn't make any sense, my heart is shaken when I remember her change within the last few days.

You must be suspicious.

The seed of doubts sprouts on the side of my mind that's slowly sinking.

"... "

Coming to a stop, I look at Abella's bedroom from far away.

As Edgar said, is she in on this?

Then the business that she's doing—

Is it related to him?

Raising my head, I bite my lips at the end of my thought when suspicion swirls in.

What if it is?

Is Kyle trying to use Farhan to align himself with me?

Or is Farhan trying to take the advantage with his feet dipped on both sides?

"... "

I could have seen the former coming, but the latter—

No, no matter what—

I feel like I'm begging for an answer.

Baron Farhan wouldn't have been able to line up with Kyle, so it must have been a move done by selling the Diago's name.

Even though I warned you not to do that.

"I only hope for my daughter's happiness. You don't have to worry about anything else."

In an instant moment, I remembered Philip Farhan's crying in front of me and wiping his dry face.

"Haiz—"

Otherwise, it would have been impossible to hide the distorted expression of disgust and contempt.

That's why I can't understand the assumption that it's Abella.

The question of why the hell Abella asked me for divorce still bothers my mind.

If the assumptions are true, then Abella wouldn't even bring out the d in divorce.

Whatever you are trying to get for Kyle—

In front of me, she would have done her best as a modest duchess and try to take advantage of me.

That way, she'd be in step with Farhan, who is now making his move.

But in this situation, she said divorce first.

I can't read what she's thinking.

I thought that I can grasp people's intentions well, but Abella?