Chapter 97

"I'm Falcon Curd, who oversees the management for the capital mansion. Thank you for coming."

I tilt my head slightly at the sight of a man bowing his head politely at me as soon as I get off the carriage.

A man who looks much younger than Curtis and older than Edgar or Ledin, and somehow seems more like a knight than a butler.

If you are the general manager, are you also the butler?

No, more than that... What should I call him?

I look up at Charles because I don't think it's a good idea to call him by his name.

"My lieutenant."

As if reading my puzzled expression, Charles wraps a hand around my arm and speaks softly.

Oh, he's a knight.

"It's Abella Diago, Sir Curd."

"What do you mean 'Sir'? It's enough if you just call me Falcon, Your Grace."

Nodding, I smile at Falcon at his gentle expression.

"Yes."

Then, following Charles' guidance, I enter the mansion's great hall, and I can't keep my mouth shut at the sight unfolding before my eyes.

Wow...

The angles of the employees lined up on both sides and the splendid interior show a clear difference from Lapel Castle.

The splendor of Lapel Castle can't reach the tip of the capital mansion.

"This place is decorated according to Madam Erst's taste."

"..."

Charles uses the title 'Madam Erst' instead of the word 'Mother' so the employees can hear it.

"I know."

Understanding his intentions, I smile and look around.

If Lapel Castle has an old-fashioned feel, this place looks as glamorous as an imperial palace.

From gold decors and mirrors filling the Great Hall to mysterious paintings.

It feels like if anyone was to stand here alone, they would be buried into the background.

To be honest, I thought Lapel Castle was gorgeous too, but I guess it's because Lapel Castle is modest.
"It's gorgeous."

Too excessive.

I gently swallow the back words into my mouth and look up at Charles with a smile.

While being in the carriage, we tacitly agreed to be kind to each other.

I want to try my best first, so I draw a thin line near the corners of my mouth and grin.

"From now on, decorate it according to your taste."

"There is nothing wrong with it currently."

"Still, it's decorated according to Madame Erst's taste."

"......"

"There aren't many places in Lapel Castle to decorate to your liking, but the capital mansion is customary to be decorated according to the duchess's taste every time there's a change in duchesses."

"Oh..."

A husband, who's about to divorce his wife, tells her to change the interior of the mansion to her liking.

For a moment, I become confused about whether this is an extension of our tacit agreement in the carriage or his sincerity.

I nod, deciding to trust in his sincerity, telling me to spend some money in a calm voice.

"Yes, but shouldn't we visit Madam Erst first?"

"It's okay. You don't have to see her. She's faking it."

"..."

"If you're really worried, I'll just go for a bit. You don't need to go. There's no reason to. She's a stranger anyway."

He's like the ideal husband of this era who tries to prevent the father-daughter conflict.

Now I just need to take care of my sister-in-law properly.

"So rest."

"Your Grace—"

Stopping in front of the arched central staircase that leads up to the second floor, he looks at me, holding the end with both hands lightly, as if he's going to do something.

"I have a meeting, so I think I should go now."

"It must be difficult."

"It's okay."

As if it's nothing special, he curves one corner of his mouth and smiles, making eye contact with me.

His black eyes staring straight at me is somewhat burdensome and difficult to be under for a long time, so I try to avoid it.

"I'll be right back."

He approaches me in an instant, lightly kisses my forehead, and turns around.

To be honest, it's closer to a greeting than a kiss.

Why did you kiss me like how they do it in France?

Isn't this the first time we say goodbye like this?

But, the kiss is so natural that it doesn't feel like it's the first time...
"..."

I'm genuinely perplexed,

After Charles leaves, I stand there, staring blankly at the place that he's disappeared into until Falcon talks to me.