Chapter 19

"It's not a crime."

"I'm guilty, your grace."

Catherine then takes a step forward. "What would a maid know about that?"

"Why is it not a crime?"

"Because you gave me the orders."

Then it's over.

"Ergel, get up."

"Your grace!"

Catherine shrieks with a startled voice, making me cover my ears in respond.

"Catherine, lower your voice. Honestly..."

I should probably leave quietly and let her thoughts wander.

"Your grace!"

Catherine finally kneels down on that filthy mud.

This is a little different.

I glance down at her.

"Ergel's mistake is the reason why I wanted to meet you a few days ago."

With determination, Catherine's eyes turn red as if she is going to condemn Ergel somehow. The glare in her eyes—

"That's why I said that no one is at fault."

I sigh exasperatedly.

"It's not just a matter of a soo-in being here. It's that there's an unauthorized person in Lapel Castle, your grace."

"......"

"In doing so, all the maids and other employees will try to bring their families into the castle without permission."

Even if it was an excuse that she came up with on the spot, she's actually quite right.

"......"

"As you know, there are strict regulations and regulations in Lapel. I was punished according to the rules by losing my post as the head maid." says Katherine, biting her lips.

However, my thoughts are a little different than hers.

By that discipline, you'd have been kicked out already on the charge of deceiving a duchess.

I left her alone because I wanted to see how much far she plans to go.

"Therefore, I think a person deserves to be punished for breaking the rules and for letting an outsider, be it human being or not, enter without notice."

To be honest, I could see why she's doing this.

You must have been afraid that Ergel would take your place after you were dismissed.

However—

"So what kind of punishment do you want?"

Without knowing her thoughts, I ask, thinking that I might be wrong.

"I think we should kick her out of the castle along with that."

Alas, Catherine is Catherine. She doesn't deviate from my expectations at all.

"Ah."

Catherine frowns as if she's reluctant to even point with at them her hand, then hurriedly says, "Of course, without severance pay."

"......"

She fits exactly to my assessment of her as an ugly and vicious person.

To be honest, this place is no different from my previous life where severance pay is the last bastion for office workers and the only hope for the second act of life.