Chapter 116

"If you weren't sick, you could have attended the banquet the night before."

Looking at the falling, autumn leaves, Ergel asks me if I'm disappointed while I'm leisurely sipping my tea.

But—

"Is that so?"

At Ergel's words, I shrug as if I have no regrets at all.

Originally, I had no intention of going to the capital, so I do not have any regrets about not being able to attend the banquet.

To be honest, I thought it's a good thing that I didn't go, which is also far from regretting it.

When I consider going to that banquet and being among the lot of Evangelines, Catherines, and Marissas—

Wow, how terrible.

Just imagining it is so terrifying that the hairs all on my body stand up.

If I had attended the event, it was obvious that I would have withered to death there.

In addition, I guess I could have even met my mother-in-law, who might even yell at Charles if he was next to me.

Ha, I just added the worst to the worst.

It was improvised, but I feel like I did a pretty good job pretending to be sick.

"I think it's better because Lapel's founding festival is much quieter. The fallen leaves are pretty, and the sea is nice."

"Is that so?"

"I guess I've gotten attached to Lapel."

Ergel looks out the window that I'm looking at and smiles.

"By the way, the founding ceremony is held in Lapel's central square."

It's the first time I've heard of this, so I turn my head to her.

"The founding festival held in the capital of Erst and the founding festival in Lapel are a little different."

Ergel bluntly corrects Pope's words.

"Really?"

"Yes, because the origin of the name of Lapel is an ancient Wicking word that means 'conquer.'"

Oh, so the name means to conquer.

I bite my lips at the fact that I had no idea, but as expected, Pope continues on without a care.

"Therefore, even though it's a celebration when the Erst Empire was established, it is also the first victory in which, we, the Wicking people, first conquered imperial lands."

"Ah."

The Wicking tribe, which forms the basis of Lapel, was originally made up of immigrants. They were those who survived descending from the icy continent sitting far north by boats. They helped Erst's emperor expelling demons and set up the migrant system from within the empire, became public servants, and worked hard to get to where they are today.

So, the founding day of Erst is also a victory day for the Wicking people.

"The atmosphere will be different from the founding festival in the capital."

"It's a little louder."

"Sounds fun."

"It's a lot louder than fun."

Ergel and Pope look at each other and laugh as if it's funny just thinking about it.

What is it?

"Why are the two of you laughing?"

"Ah, I remember Edgar got caught while being drunk and swearing at His Excellency last year."

"Me too."

When I see Pope and Ergel smile as they recall the same memory, I, too, pull my lips together.

Somehow, the image of Edgar is being painted right in front of my eyes.

"He must have thought that he wouldn't get caught since His Excellency has gone to the capital. So, he cursed."

That said, Pope smiles and bites her lip.

"I didn't know then because I wasn't serving His Excellency at the time, but he lifted Edgar flatly with one hand and took him away – I thought he was carrying laundry."

Pope, biting her lower lip, smiles again, and covers her mouth.

"The problem is that he thought His Excellency wouldn't come back early and leave his wife alone. Edgar is such an idiot."

Shaking her head, Ergel says reproachfully.

"How could he think that His Excellency would remain in the capital for such a long time after marriage?"

"Ah."

At that time, Ergel must have been at the ranch, so she didn't know the situation very well.

"Right."

However, there's no need to tell her that the relationship between the two of us was strange, so instead, let's just smile awkwardly and hold onto the teacup.

"To be honest, I thought he wouldn't be able to get married, let alone date."

Ergel secretly disses Charles with a smile.

"Why? His Excellency is very popular."

"He's just popular, but he doesn't know a woman's heart at all. To be honest, even though Edgar's appearance isn't very good, the reason he can change his lover every time is because of his desperation."

"Desperation?"

"He has a need to get to know a woman's heart somehow."

"Ah."

That—It's the same reason a very handsome man's love affair doesn't last long.

I nod, recalling the memories I have, where I'd read it on a passing bulletin board one day.

"Is that so? "

"Yes, His Excellency does not have such urgency. There was never a need for any effort on his part."

"......."

"He didn't have any need to capture a woman's heart and make her his own because there was a constant stream of women. Of course, it didn't last long."

At Ergel's words, who gently glances at me, I smile.

"Sometimes, when Edgar chatted in front of me, he would say that he tries to get his Excellency to go out with him."

"Ergel!"

Pope shakes her head as if saying that someone can overhear her.

"What's wrong with being a dating eunuch? It's perfect for him."

"Oh my!"

Pope jumps up from her seat, closes the nearby door and window, and trembles slightly.

"......"

"That's why he might upset Your Grace a bit."

I feel like the reason Ergel is talking at length is to say this.

The last line is meant to comfort my heart.

"Because he's indifferent."

Of course, once he meets the real love of his life, he will change.

Frankly, I know how Charles from the novel will change and go crazy.

That's why I felt that all the love he had shown me so far is false and just him acting.

Of course, I don't mean to dismiss the sincerity he showed at first glance, but if the degree of Charles Diago's love in the novel is 100, should it be said that the degree of sincerity he has shown so far me has been about 30?

The lukewarm temperament is bound to be neither this nor that.

"That's the problem!"

Is today Charles Diago's pilgrimage?

In the absence of Charles, the scolding about him seems to be getting worse and worse.

I blink at Ergel's words.

"No, if he says that he likes you, he should treat you better."

No way. Does she still think that Charles and I are the love of the century?

That can't be it.

I thought that she knew, but at the sight of Ergel looking as if she has no idea, my throat turns dry.

"Ergel?"

In a slightly dizzy feeling, I call her and shake my head

"So tell him yourself...what this feeling of love is."

I don't know about those emotions.

However, Ergel seems quite animated and determined today.

Our Ergel...isn't this kind of character. I think this is more like Anna.

I blink, wondering if their souls have switched without my knowledge, but Ergel doesn't seem to notice me at all.

"I raised him, but His Excellency really doesn't know anything. Literally, he's like an enuch in a relationship, completely useless."

"......"

"It's still early...!"

"Ahh!"

I feel like I'm sitting around among my relatives on a holiday.

"Stop!"

As I cover my ears while screaming, I can feel the heat in my palms.

"I'm sorry."

As if acknowledging that she has gone too far with a cough, Ergel steps back and takes a deep breath as she sits down, on the far edge of the sofa.

Seeing the excitement subsiding, I gently lower my hands that were covering my ears..

Then, I cut the conversation off as if she hadn't talked about Charles in the middle—

"Anyway, it should be fun."

I awkwardly go back to the story of the Wicking people's banquet.

Pope, who is very aware of my intentions, nods her head.

"It will probably be noisy after sunset today."

"Do you two not want to go?"

"Well, I'm not."

Again, Ergel has no regrets at all.

However, Pope, who looks out the window, purses her lips as if she can't help it.

Looks like you want to go.

After all, she couldn't go to the festivals she enjoyed because of me.

"Pope, if you want to go, go."

"What? But—"

Pope then shakes her head.

Because of the unfavorable cuteness—

"Go."

I then stand up from my seat.

"Then, who will tend you, Your Grace?"

"I don't think it's necessary. These days, I have a separate bedroom, so it's not like you have anything to take care of. Go play today. Ergel, it's okay, right?"

"If you allow it."

Ergel, who is looking at Pope with her narrowed eyes, nods with a relaxed smile.

"Go and have a lot of fun."

As soon as Ergel's permission is granted, Pope's, which has been indifferent the whole time, brightens. She then jumps up from her seat.

"Then, I'll—"

"Oh, that's right. Wait a minute."

Seeing Pope about to head to the door, I hurriedly grab some gold coins and hand them to her.

"This is pocket money."

"No, Your Grace, this is too much."

I shake my head when Pope refuses to accept. Then, I grab her wrist, place the gold coins in her palm, and make her fingers curl into a fist.

"You've worked hard this whole time and also had a hard time here too, so go and have fun."

"But—"

"Okay then, buy me a small present. If you overdo it, I won't take it, so get a small one."

I tap Pope's hand a couple of times and laugh.

Pope gnaws on her lips, as if hesitating at my expression, then raises her head while looking at her hands.

Seeing that she's worried whether it's really okay to take it, I release her wrist from my hand and grab onto her shoulder to turn her around.

"Now, hurry up and go."

I then push Pope to the front door and open the door myself.

"Your Excellency!"

Charles stands in front of the open door, looking like a huge wall.

.

.

.

.
T/N: Poor Charles. Nobody respects him when it comes to anything like love haha