Chapter 56

Right, this is—

I just want to express my feelings.

The twinkling stars in the sky are so pretty, and this moment is so good that I'm happy, but I've been staring at the sky for too long.

I'm lonely.

And?

I have a sore throat.

At this moment, I want to stretch my head slightly to the right and then stretch it to the other side because it feels a little stiff.

"Is it a sore throat?"

"Oh my God!"

Charles appears.

What—

As soon as I think I have a sore throat, he appears and asks me if I have a sore throat.

He's like Leo since he's the one that reads minds.

Come to think of of it—

I've been at the ranch all day today, and I don't think I've seen Leo.

Honestly, since I'm so busy, I usually stop by then go back to the castle right away. I usually asked after him since I couldn't see him. However, I had been there for almost all day today, and I didn't see him.

I couldn't even see his tail that usually shakes in my face while he's hiding.

I narrow my brows little by little as the annoyance becomes clearer.

"!"

At that moment, an unfamiliar finger touches right between my brows and pushes my forehead back.

"...... "

My mind seems to be stunned, not understanding what's happening now.

What the hell is this now?

What happened?

Whose hand is this?

A large shadow casts in front of me like a wall with strange fingertips.

When I open my eyes to see if it's who I think it is—

That's right. It's Charles Diago.

In the pitch-black darkness where only the light is from the moon, under the pouring starlight, the man comes closer and straightens the wrinkles of my brows.

"......."

Is this romance? Or is it because all of the sensations now concentrate at the spot that the hand touches that make it feel romantic, almost to the point of being intoxicated by it and getting sucked in because of it?

Whatever it is, I feel like my heart is going to stop beating if I just keep sitting there.

"What?"

Let's take a step back.

"......."

The fingertip on my forehead floats in the air as if it has lost a place to go to.

"Because you were frowning..."

I open my mouth slightly, mimicking those people in a panting, as I keep my hands still.

"Close your mouth."

He puts his hand on the tip of my chin with a blunt face and lifts it up.

"I'll shut up!"

I take another step back to avoid him.

No, another two or three steps.

I don't think I can breathe with us being that close so I need to step back.

"What?"

He comes one step closer.

"What?"

And I, too, step back one more step to avoid him again.

"......."

As he looks at me, he tilts his head a little and makes eye contact.

"Why did you step back?"

"No, I didn't."

"......"

"You can't see because it's dark here, but it's downhill so I'm pushed back a little bit without realizing it."
I spit out in a quiet voice.

No matter how much bullshit that sounded like, I just have to say it with conviction.

This is so ridiculous.

How it can go downhill all of a sudden when all sides are flat.

If I heard that, I would have bit my lips and retort, 'What are you talking about?'

"Then, come here."

"......."

He reaches out his hand.

I look at it.

"It's okay."

I shake my head.

It's not like climbing a mountain on a rock wall, so his hand is a bit excessive.

"Then just come here. Unless you're running away—"

"Why would I run away?"

"Then, come here."

"We can talk here."

"......."

"I can hear you well enough."

I think that he's going to try to pull me back again, so I backtrack.

"I think that you're running away."

"No, it's a big hill."

Oh, damn it.

My throat turns dry, and a strange voice pops out.

"And I'm saying. I don't think so."

He steps forward, and I too, do the opposite.

If someone sees us, they'd think we're strange and wonder what we're doing.

"Listen to what I am saying. You're right."

I raise my head a little as if affirming it, but I said it in such an awkward way.

Folding his arms, Charles stops walking and tilts his head.

"Is it because of yesterday?"

"Yes, it's because of it."

I nod.

"I feel so embarrassed that I can die. I don't think I can live with Your Grace anymore. So let's get a divorce?"

"You talk about divorce every time you see my face."

"......."

Is that all you have to say?

But other than that, what else can we talk about?

In this awkward and unfamiliar moment—

Oh, there are so many stars in the sky.

Don't you think it smells like lilac somewhere?

I can hear the sound of grasshoppers, so it looks like the weather is going to be sunny tomorrow, right?

Isn't it impossible to say any of this?

The skill of directing a conversation to the weather or the surroundings is mainly for business relationships.

Maybe because it's too much of an awkward relationship, so instead, we have to sit alone, unable to say what we want.

This is like a superficial conversation.

"......."

If I think about it, we're in a business relationship, and we are really awkward.

"There are so many stars in the sky."
"........."
"Would you like to see the stars?"

I raise my head toward the sky. I wonder if he can tell me about the constellations.

"......"

The author of this novel must have a very narrow view of the world since I don't know any constellations.

Mostly, they're just thoughts like, 'The moon has risen. Wow, The stars are next to me.'

There's nothing else I could say.

"Hmm."

I wonder what will happen, but I don't want to get caught in his eyes. Instead, I tilt my head toward the sky and squint.

"What do you like?"

"The cup?"

Oh, that's a surprise!

Before I know it, he's next to me and leans his head downward, closing the gap between us a bit.

Are you using something like the Chukchi* method?

(T/N: magic of contracting/shrinking spaces)

I stare at him. I don't know why he's walking around so quietly.

"What do you like...?"

"... "

"Do you like things like stars?"

He then lifts his head toward the sky as I catch a glimpse of the scruff on his neck.

Haiz—

A halo shines down from his neck, and it moves slightly whenever he swallows his breath.

What should I do if he's so handsome that I can cry?

Ah, he's dazzling.

Should I raise my hand and cover my eyes from such radiance that seems similar to the glare from the light panels?

I then turn away.

"Yeah."

I nod.

I like it, the constellations and numerous myths related to them.

Thinking about it now, I want to laugh because I used to read, imagine those ridiculous things and then wonder if it really existed in those times.

"What do you like about stars in the sky?"

"It's shiny."

"I know that there are many things that shine on the ground, such as jewelry."

"It's different than that."

There is a constellation here, but I couldn't tell if there are any stories related to it. Therefore, I quietly try to move on.

"Twenty thousand stones—"

"Which one?"

He asks again.

"Well."

I always feel it. Our Excellency has a lot of questions.

In the light of past experiences, I know very well that since he's started looking at me with such a curious, heavenly gaze, he wouldn't give in easily.

Not until I answer.

I'm going to answer quickly and get done with it quickly.

"Well, there's a lot to imagine."

"......."

"Like what's beyond that sparkling thing? I have thought about it."

I point my index finger toward the sky.

"Why is that shining over there? What does it mean?"

I then shrug.

"Even though those little stars all look the same, they are slightly different."

At my words, Charles looks up for a moment then stares at me again.

He has an expression that asks why the star is good to look at since I've left it unanswered.

"Someone said that it's the same in a different spot."

"......."

"They always appear at the same time and in the same place. Do you know that?"

I ask with glistened eyes.

"They can also tell the season for farming," answers Charles.

Ah, so it's the same here.

"So, I like it."

"........"

"They look like nothing because they're hidden by the moon, but each has its own role and positions."

I feel better because it's as if I've somehow confirmed that I'm in a similar world to my old one.

It's a thought of relief that the things I know are the same here.

If you get out of here, you can still eat and live. Wouldn't you like to?

Even though it's strange, I laugh at myself for feeling relieved at the fact that there are so many things that overlap between Korea and here.

With a look on his face—

"Right."

He nods without saying anything else, and tilts his head back.

I follow his behavior and turn my attention back to the sky.

"The moon is more important than the constellations because of the seasons for farming, but the stars are more important than the moon in the sea."

The guiding star! The North Star!

It's said that old ships couldn't find their way back like modern times, so they used stars as guides.

Of course Charles, who has rooted in the Wicking family, knows this.

"Old captains prefer to follow the stars and find their way home even if they have a compass. They said it was more accurate and can be trusted."

"What do you call it?"

"What?"

"That guiding star."

.

.

.

.

T/N: Look, ya'll can hate on my boi Charles but he's really out here trying to understand and get to know her, and he initiated hand holding like T^T his growth ya'll... if only this was smut fic... cuz first comes hand holding...

 cuz first comes hand holding