Chapter 65

"Brother."

As soon as Evangeline, who has been sniffling before entering the office, sees Charles' face—

"Hahhhhh."

She cries with determination.

Charles turns his gaze toward the door at the sound of crying.

"Ledin."

He then hands the signed papers to Ledin and picks up the others. He has an indifferent gaze, as if looking at a fire across the river.

"Brother~"

Evangeline does not give up.

She sits in a position where he could see her immediately when he looks up, shaking her shoulders and wiping away the tears.

"I'm so upset."

Evangeline, who's shedding tears like a chicken shitting, speaks with a voice crushed by crying as she glances at Charles.

However, Charles does not look at her and devotes himself to his work.

"Really, Brother."

She shakes his shoulders. Even with such a deadly aegyo—

"Edgar, contact the water bank again to check on this part."

"Yes, Your Grace."

Charles' gaze is fixed on the documents.

Evangeline, who's filled with sorrow from his behavior that hasn't changed since she entered, begins to weep even more.

If someone sees Lady Evangeline crying while wiping it off with both hands while Charles remains indifferent instead of soothing her, they might think, 'Isn't it too much?'

They might say something tongue in cheek, but this entourage knows better.

Since it's Evangeline, she will be kicked out even if she cries while making noise in front of his eyes.

If she doesn't stop quickly though, Charles' patience will soon dry up.

Immediately—

"How long are you going to cry?"

Like now.

"My ears are about to hurt."

Charles warns as he signs the papers.

"That's too much!"

Evangeline stops sniffling and looks up.

A face that's messy from crying.

"Brother, Erin is really upset!"

Filled with sadness, she sheds even more tears and lowers her head. There are traces of tears on the back of her hand and on the skirt she wears.

"What?"

Charles, whose gaze is still on his documents, asks indifferently.

At his question—

"I feel like I've been insulted."

Evangeline covers her mouth like she's trying to hold back her anger.

"Oh my God, should she be allowed to do this to me? I am Evangeline Diago!"

She bites down on her teeth.

In her way of speaking—

"Speak clearly, Evangeline Diago. Don't express your feelings all over the place."

He says, not looking at her still. Even though he probably knows all about the reason for her crying, she is sad about the way Charles coldly questioned her.

I hate you.

Yes, I hate it.

"The Duchess!"

If that's exactly what Charles wanted to know, she's willing to tell.

It's not like I can't do it because I can't tell anyone.

"Do you know what the duchess said to me?"

Tearily, Evangeline bites her lips and looks as if she's going to die from despair.

"Ha-"

Only then does Charles lift up his head and stares at her with a distorted expression.

"......"

His cold face, staring at her without saying anything, is filled with irritation and annoyance.

"Really."

For Evangeline, the look isn't a day or two new.

Since it's his usual expression, she's not offended.

For now, her purpose is not to be ignored.

Charles will have no choice but to listen to my will.

Even if he doesn't listen right now, but later, he won't forget her sadness.

"I don't think that you know."

"......."

"How sad the duchess makes me feel."

"......"

"Do you know how embarrassed I was in front of my old friends today?"

Evangeline wipes the tears on the tip of her chin with the back of her hand then stares at Charles.

"I am going to leave the Diago Estate so why did she suddenly come down to the manor and make a fuss? I wanted to stay quiet and go back to the capital."

"Is that true?"

To the words of Charles, who sympathizes with Abella—

"I'm really sad."

As if that doesn't matter, or as if she couldn't hear him at all, Evangeline continues on.

"Although she is the duchess and hostess of this castle, I am a princess and my brother's only sister."

No matter how unaffectionate and indifferent Charles is, that woman is a stranger, and she's his blood.

If you keep seeing your delicate little sister crying so sadly, wouldn't it twist your arms a bit?

"I am my brother's younger sister who deserves to come to this castle. I'm a member of the Diago Family so isn't it too rude to say that to me?"

"......"

"Honestly, she's not only looking down on me, but she also acts that ignores our Duke of Diago."

Evangeline shakes her head and looks at Charles.

"You can't imagine in your dream how arrogant your wife is."

"......"

"Do you know what she said to me a while ago? Even if I get married, how arrogant she is because she said there will be no higher status than herself, and that woman, no, your wife—"

She quickly changes woman to wife and looks at Charles.

Is he alright?

He's just looking at Evangeline without any reproach.

With him staring like that—

"It's a family that lived like a parasite because they never had power for money, so their arrogance and shamelessness are overwhelming."

She tries to take it a step further.

Charles still doesn't say anything to her insulting Abella.

Did Brother get tired of her too?

Her heart starts pounding.

Maybe Brother is also looking for a cause to divorce, too?

"Even so..."

She lifts her head, looking as pitiful as possible.

"She threatened me."

"......."

"As you know, I've my life as a cultured, refined, and innocent—"

"Ha—"

At that moment, Edgar bursts into laughter with the opposite expressions to what Evangeline was describing herself as.

"Hah—It's loud."

Edgar hurriedly walks to the window and shuts his mouth.

"......"

Evangeline's and Charles's gazes hit Edgar's back at the same time.

"I don't have the talent to deal with such a woman."

Evangeline quickly directs her attention to Charles.

"Besides, I was just repeating words to my mother, but she threatened to make me lose everything I have if I told Madam Erst one more time."

Evangeline covers her face as if she's about to burst into tears again.

"I see."

As if he has heard everything he can, Charles straightens himself.

At that vague answer—

"She even told me how much she hates me!"

Evangeline lowers her hands from her face and adds urgently.

"She even drove out all the maids that were tending me!"

"......."

"So, I've earnestly told her that the Diago Family doesn't throw people away, and that we shouldn't. Do you know what the Duchess said to me?"

Evangeline's utterances of constantly asking a question at the end of her words—

"........"

Charles looks at her with a very bored expression like he's not interested in what she has to say.

"It's the duchess' right."

"........."

"She's the duchess so she can do anything."

Evangeline shakes her head, amazed.

"Where is that right?"

"......."

"How can other people trust the owner who treats their servants that way?"

Evangeline breaths out and drops her shoulders.

"Too much powers for the duchess—"

"I gave it to her."

"What?"

"I was worried that she hasn't been wielding the duchess' authority, and if that was the case, I can give her more."

Charles gets up and sits down at the end of his desk.

"Brother, she drove out the maids without consulting anyone. Even Mother—"

Evangeline blinks, raising her voice.

"If she had decided that way, then it would have happened that way."

Charles brushes off Evangeline's absurdity, nods at her and picks up a teacup placed on the desk.

"I don't know what the hell that you've been facing."

"Brother!"

Charles raises his hand to stop Evangeline's from standing up and having an emotional tantrum.

"Because there's nothing is wrong with anything she said to you."

"Nonsense."

At that moment, Evangeline, who can't believe that something like that came out of Charles' mouth, looks up.

"Her will is my will."

He tilts his head, speaking firmly.

"She's the one who should lead the family in case I die or have an emergency. Abella Diago."

"Brother!"

Evangeline jumps up from the seat and raises her volume. Even with that reaction—

"As she said, it is Abella who has to live in the Duke of Diago Castle for her whole life. So, if you want to enjoy even a little of the privilege as Lady Diago, then—"

"......."

"Do what she said."

"What!"

"Don't resist."

The way Charles talks becomes stranger and more nonsensical.

"Brother!"

Evangeline shouts as she couldn't believe it.

Charles Diago is crazy about that woman.

That's ridiculous.

He's just taking her side because I'm being childish.

Because my brother has always said that he was worried about my immaturity.

She assumes that it must be because of that.

"Brother, if you're joking—"

"When have I ever joked around?"

Charle shakes his head as if he's trampling her wish.

"I'm on her side, and that won't change."

He drives a wedge between them.

.

.

.

.

Evangeline:

Charles:

Evangeline talking about Abella

Charles:

We love 1 supportive husband who's humored by his wife mentioning divorce every time he breathes

We love 1 supportive husband who's humored by his wife mentioning divorce every time he breathes. I love him and will not accept any criticisms about him so don't @ me.