By denying Ergel of her severance pay, Catherine's discarding everything that Ergel's done for Lapel thus far.

What a devil.

I have to admit. When I was in Korea, there weren't as many people around me who was like her. Often times, a person is bad because of their circumstances, and there were only a few consistently bad people.

It's unmatched to how Catherine continuously does wicked things as time goes by.

"If she's kicked out because she's guilty—"

I interrupt her with an unsatisfied sigh. "Hmm..."

Catherine pauses then opens her mouth again. "I know you are thinking with your heart, but that's why discipline exists..."

She looks up in a cursory manner.

Again, I cut her off. "Well Catherine, I don't know why it's a sin in the first place."

"That's because you don't know—"

Oh, are you going to try and mention how clueless I am again?

I could read her so clearly.

It was always Catherine's reply to Abella, "Oh, you don't know much."

I stare at her with a chilling smile, seeing how she's about to use those words again.

"You're saying that Leo's not a person, but an animal, right?""

"...Yes, that's right."

"Then, I don't think it's a sin."

"......"

"I've often seen the maids raise pets in the castle."

"That's—!"

I put my hand up to stop Catherine from interrupting me. "Apart from that, as your duchess, I've said that raising a beast is not a sin."

I tilt my head, refusing to let her intervene between my words.

"If so, does that mean I'm indiscriminatingly brought in an employee? And if you were to take issue with such thing, should I pay them a wage—Paul?"

"Yes, your grace."

"Are you paying Leo?"

"Oh, no!"

"Hmm."

Looking at Paul, waving his hands with both hands and denying it, I rest my chin on my hand and lean to the side.

I think this will make me look at least like a jerk. I wonder if this is effective enough or perhaps there's something else I can do, so I tilted my head a little more and say thoughtfully. "I don't think your breach of regulations applies here either, Catherine?"

"......"

"What do you think?"

When I look at Catherine, she seems out of breath. She doesn't answer my question, only pants like she lacks air.

"Come on, then." I clap my hand and sway around. "Let's wrap this up here..."

"If you keep such a dangerous creature in the castle, it could be dangerous for you."

"What are you saying?"

Catherine does not let me have the last words and speaks again. I could hear the pounding of my chest as my gaze is on her.

"Yes?"

With her eyes wide opened, Catherine blinks her eyes as if she doesn't understand what came out of my mouth just now.