45. Wake Me Up

A/N: Play this song when reading the first part of this chapter for Hailey's POV.

*

I raise my shoulders and inhale, before slowly exhaling and dropping my shoulders back down. I slide my hand across my stomach and arch my back until I'm in a more comfortable position. I clear my throat and close my eyes before playing the keys on my piano in front of me. I gently sway my head side to side.

Man, I've missed playing. 

Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can't tell where the journey will end
But I know where to start

They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
Well that's fine by me

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
I hope I get the chance to travel the world
But I don't have any plans
I wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is the prize

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

I finish playing the chords and end the song with my chin against my chest. I slowly raise my head and smile to myself. I was a little out of breath, but other than that I am happy with my vocals. I haven't sung in a while. I haven't felt like it. Though I feel different now. 

Baby girl lightly kicks the centre of my stomach, a little to the left of my belly button. I let out a laugh before looking down at my stomach. I'm wearing a Calvin Klein bralette so the belly is on full display today. She kicks a little harder this time and I am in shock because I swear I seen the shape of a toe poking through my stomach. 

I caress my stomach when she stops moving, trying to get another reaction out of her. 

"Come on baby girl. Kick for mama."

She is clearly stubborn like her mother because she isn't kicking back anymore. 

"Alright, fine." I say to her as I slide to the edge of the wooden chair before standing to my feet. When I stand up, she starts to kick again. Once again, I smile down at my baby girl inside my stomach. 

"And cheeky like her father."

"Hailey." Dad calls out to me. I walk over to the door and open it. "Your phone keeps going off."

He's sitting on the dining table, flicking through the newspaper. 

"Shit, Harry's probably trying to call me." I walk over to the kitchen table where my phone is charging. There's missed calls from Aaron. I hope everything is alright with Rachel or the kids. 

I tap on the missed call notification to return Aaron's call. It goes straight to voicemail.

"That sounded great sweetheart. Is it new? I've missed hearing you sing."