66. Dream Home

Harry's POV:

"It really is remarkable." I say to Geoffrey, the man who has kindly invited me inside his house for a tour. He leads me into the main bedroom which remains completely empty. There's a floor to ceiling window in the middle of the room, measuring approximately four or five metres long. 

When you look out the window, you can see the sandy beach front which then leads to the water. It is just past eight in the morning now, but when I left for my jog it was 6:15am. I was running along the coastline, watching the sunrise. From this very spot right here, you could watch the sunrise each morning from your bed. With a view this spectacular, I wonder why Geoffrey doesn't sleep in here.

Hailey was blown away by the exterior of this house. This interior is so breathtaking, that I'm afraid that it'll send her into pre-labour. She would be so mad that I am getting a tour right now. I seen Geoffrey put some rubbish in his bin while I was jogging home and I couldn't resist the opportunity to ask him about his place. I'm hoping to get his permission to bring Hailey in so that she can see her dream home from the inside. 

"I know what you're thinking." He gives me a small smile before walking over to the window. He places his hands on his hips and lets out a sigh whilst looking out at the ocean. "What fool wouldn't be sleeping in here and waking up to this view every morning?"

I hesitantly nod my head, not wanting to offend the man. He looks to be in his mid to late thirties, but the clear amount of stress that he has endured over the years has made him look like he is in his mid forties. Just from our brief conversation, I can tell that this man has had a hard life, but he does not pity himself. He is a hardworking, determined man with a kind heart. 

"You see, I made a promise to my fiancé that I would not wake up in this room unless she was beside me. I began building this house in the summer of '06. My fiancé and I were trying for a child at this time. This house was to be built for our family. I had huge plans and big dreams for this house, but we had to pause building for a while because of my company. I lost my biggest clients for reasons that I cannot disclose, but that pretty much sent me broke."

This reminds me of the story that Hailey told me last night. She had only heard rumours and Geoffrey is about to tell me what really happened. 

"I had to start from the beginning and my soul focus had to be on my business. So I worked many long hours which I regret now because I did not spend as much time with my fiancé as I would have liked to. She was unable to get a job because she was born in Mexico. I met her when I was holidaying as a young boy and she came back with me. We had been waiting for years for her Visa to be approved."

Some parts of the rumour are correct, but there are important details missing. Geoffrey is speaking so highly of his fiancé and he still refers to her as that. I don't think that she took off back to Mexico with another man like the rumours anticipated. I am intrigued to hear more of his life story. 

"In the midst of all of that madness, Maria fell pregnant. With triplets." He laughs to himself. "We could not believe it when we went to the ultrasound and the lady told us that we weren't having one, but three children. We were overjoyed. My business started getting a little better when Maria was soon to give birth. The triplets came very early. 33 weeks. They were in the NICU for what felt like an eternity, but eventually they were healthy enough to come home."

"Unfortunately, home wasn't to this place, but our apartment in the city. The first six months of their lives weren't easy, but they were the best six months of my life."

My stomach drops. Please don't tell me that something happened to his children. 

"Maria's visa didn't get approved. She was forced to move back to Mexico. The boys could stay here because they were born in Australia, but Maria could not. She said that she would leave the boys with me here in Australia because I could give them a better life. I disagreed with her.  I told her that I would move with her and that we would apply for another visa and wait for approval."