23. Mobility

Aaron places his hand in my shoulder and I remove my hand from my mouth and smile at Tyde who is smiling at me in Aaron's arms.

"That's the fifth time you've yawned in three minutes. You can go home, put your feet up and I'll call you when there's news."

Rachel has fallen back asleep again but fortunately this time it's a nap, not a coma.

I shake my head. "I'm fine, I'm not leaving. We've been waiting for her to wake up for weeks. I can sleep when I'm dead."

Aaron moves his face closer to me so he can whisper in my ear. "Are you forgetting that your body isn't just yours anymore? You have to look after yourselves for-"

"I know" I take a step away from him and walk over to the door of Rachel's room. Tori and my parents are in there with her. Aaron and I stepped outside so it isn't overwhelming for her when she wakes up again.

My phone starts ringing and I pull it out of my back pocket. I stare at my phone with my lips slightly parted and I hold up the phone to Aaron.

"Are you going to answer?"

"Yeah" I look back down at my phone and tap the accept button. I hold my phone to my ear. "Hey."

"I just read your text. Sorry, I was in a meeting. Hailey, that's great news about Rachel how is she going now?"

I step away from the door and walk over to the seats and sit down. I yawn once again and look over at Aaron who is laughing at me and holding up four fingers. I shake my head at him.

"She's asleep right now and we are waiting for more test results. I feel like she's had sixty different tests done in the past twelve hours since she's been awake."

He cleats his throat. "And you, how are you? And Aaron and the kids of course. Aaron must be so happy that she's awake."

"Aaron is really happy but the fear of the unknown is getting to him. It's getting to all of us. We just want her to be okay but she was out for a long time so we don't have our hopes up."

"Understandably and Hailey?"

"Yeah?"

He laughs. "You didn't answer my question.

"Which one?"

"How are you doing?"

I see one of the doctors who have been on night shift all night, yawn and she makes me yawn too. I look at Aaron but he is looking at Tyde and didn't see that one.

"I'll be better once I know that my sister is going to be okay. How was your meeting?"

"My meeting was ... a meeting. Same old coffee, back and forth discussions and shit. You know the go. Zayn decided not to show up again so you can imagine how that went down."

I close my eyes and shake my head. "Things still not good between you two?"

"More like all of us. He's bumping heads with everybody."

"I think I might give him a call."

"Why, is he your charity case?"

"Harry."

"I'm sorry. He's not my favourite person right now and you two are friends too. It's none of my business what you do."

"I miss you." I say honestly. "It was really good having you here."

He is silent but I can picture him smiling to himself right now.

"I'll be back in a few days."