42. Sisters

Tori is walking down the hallway with a sleepy Tyde on her hip. Tori is a blessing to have when it comes to helping with Tyde. He absolutely adores his big sister.

"Are you staying for dinner?" Tori asks me as she passes Tyde over to her father who has his arms outstretched, ready to take hold of his son.

"I sure am. What do you think we should have for dinner?"

"McDonald's!" She shouts while raising her hands in the air. She quickly puts her hands back down and looks up at Aaron. "Sorry, I forgot mummy is sleeping."

He places his hand on top of her head. "It's okay baby. Come help me with your brother and we can discuss what we are going to have for dinner, other than McDonald's."

As the three of them go back down the hall, Aaron turns to me and mouths thank you before continuing to listen to Tori's argument on why McDonald's is the best option to have for dinner.

I take a deep breath before walking into my sisters room. She is over by the window, sitting in her wheelchair and staring straight ahead. The blinds are closed so technically she isn't staring at anything.

"Hope you don't mind, but I'm staying for dinner."

I plan to stay the night, but we are going to take things one step at a time. Instead of asking her how she is doing like I usually would, I instead choose to speak about myself to take her mind off of the things that are bothering her.

"You failed to mention to me, just how hard shopping for essentials are. There are thousands of different types of prams. Not just four wheel and three wheel prams. Not just ones that face the front and ones that face the back. No, there are ones that double as car seats. Oh, and not to mention how expensive they are. One of them was seven and-"

"You're rich so why does price even matter to you?"

Ignoring her negativity, I continue speaking.

"I seen your friend Debbie in Target. I feel bad because I walked the other way because that woman loves to talk."

"We're not friends anymore. I only had one friend and she's dead."

Wow Rach, that's just brutal.

"So, to cut a long story short, I didn't pick out a pram today but I did see a change table that I liked. So I'm going to find it online and send the link to Harry to see what he thinks."

"Where is lover boy? What country is he in now? And most importantly, what country will he be in on your daughters due date?"

"If you're going to be a bitch to me. At least turn around and face me while you're saying it."

Rachel doesn't move, instead she continues facing the blinds.

"I would happily walk over there and say it right to your face but I don't have that fucking luxury."

"And you never will if you keep feeling sorry for yourself. I know this is fucked up. What happened to you isn't fair and I can't say that I understand how you are feeling because I don't. I haven't been through what you have. But I know that if it were me sitting in that chair, you would do everything you could to help me. So I am going to do whatever I can to get you walking again. Even if you scream at me and end up hating me. I will do whatever I can."

Rachel places her hands on the wheels of her chair and she slowly turns the chair around so that she is facing me. She stares at me for a moment without saying a word. She then wheels her chair over to me and stops when the wheels are touching my shoe. Rachel stares up at me and her expression is unreadable.