14. Deal

I step into the small cafe at the end of the street. Zayn said mostly the elderly people come here so we won't be harassed by anybody.

My eyes land on Zayn within a couple of seconds because I mean, the guy always stands out in a crowd. He is sitting at the booth in the back corner and is wearing a light brown sweater with black jeans. He is looking down at his phone.

As I get closer to him, he raises his head and smiles at me when he sees that it's me. Zayn stands up and comes over to hug me. We haven't seen each other in so long that this hug lasts longer than our usual greeting hugs. 

"Hey Z."

"Hailey, how have you been?" He rubs my back before we end our embrace and take a seat at the table.

"I've been really well thanks. I mean, apart from you know what. Everything is starting to get better though. And how have you been? How's Perrie?

I pick up the menu and look for what I'm going to order. I'm feeling in the mood for a warm beverage and a croissant. I look away for the menu as Zayn begins speaking. 

He lowers his head and lets out a quiet sigh. "I miss my girl. I would honestly do anything to be with her right now."

That feeling is all too familiar for me. I wish I could be with Harry right now but I fucked up our relationship. I couldn't be truthful with him and now I am dealing with the consequences. 

"Just over a week and you can be with her again."

"Ugh, too far away."

I reach over the table and place my hand comfortingly on top of his, giving it a gentle shake. "Hang in there."

He lets out a sigh. "It makes me miserable thinking about being apart from her. Let's talk about you. I want to know about you. What have you done whilst being in LA?"

"Meetings, filmed a music video, more meetings, went to the studio, hung out in my hotel room, did I mention meetings?"

Zayn laughs at me. "So all things music for Hailey Hayes. You have been MIA for a month so this is what you have to do to get back on the rollercoaster. Speaking of rollercoaster, how did your chat with Harry go?"

"We spoke on the phone shortly after I spoke with you and I told him to meet me at Craig's today but he was a no show. So that is why when you texted me asking if we could meet an hour earlier I was free to do so."

Zayn is making a face that looks like the emoji with all of its teeth showing. I run my tongue over my teeth just thinking about that emoji. 

"What are you going to do now?"

I shrug. "Any ideas?"

He starts smirking at me. 

"What?"

Zayn's smirk grows wider.

"Fuck Zayn, would you spit it out?" I make sure to whisper when I swear because of the elderly people around me. If their hearing aids are turned up high enough, they could have heard me and sent me an unimpressed look. 

"After we order."

I face palm. Expect nothing less from Zayn than for him to continuously put you on cliff hangers. I have never scanned over a menu so fast in my life.

"I'll have a ham and cheese croissant." I stand up.

"You stay, I'll order it."

Reaching into my handbag beside me, I pull out my wallet. 

"Put it away or I'll walk out of the place, leaving you stranded."

"Zayn."

"Fine, if I let you pay you have to promise me you will agree to hang out with me tomorrow."