58. Don't Mess With A Pregnant Woman

"You know, I never had a single ounce of doubt in my mind that you and my boy would end up back together eventually." Anne says, picking up a strawberry and dipping it in the chocolate sauce. The chocolate drips onto her white pants. "Shit, I've done it again." She reaches for a napkin and wipes over the dollop of chocolate, but ends up making it worse by smearing the stain into her pants.

Anne lets out a sigh and chooses to ignore the disaster she has made of her pants.

"First the mayo dropped from the sandwich and now the chocolate sauce. Today isn't your day."

"That'll teach me for wearing white."

"You look gorgeous though. You always dress so classy, Anne."

"You don't see me most days when I'm at home doing my gardening. I'm dressed in leggings, a daggy old jumper and my crocs."

My mouth widens and it isn't because I'm shoving yet another ham, cheese and tomato sandwich into my mouth. It is because I am in pure shock that Anne wears crocs. Personally I have never had a pair, nor do I want to. They're really not my style.

"Harry Styles, a style icon, has a mother who wears ... crocs." I laugh at her. "I don't believe it."

She smiles proudly to herself. "Crocs and wellies. My two favourites."

"Ah, I miss dressing nice. The last time I dressed up and did my makeup was-" I think back to the last time I remember looking presentable. Sadness washes over me when I remember the last time. "Beth's funeral." My tone completely changes.

Anne reaches out and places her hand on my leg comfortingly. I stare down at her navy blue painted fingernails. Another perfect thing about the Styles family is their incredible hands. All of them have beautiful hands.

"She was a special person to you and your sister."

I nod my head in agreement and smile to myself as I picture her gorgeous face. Hazel eyes with thick long eyelashes and her button nose with little freckles running over the top. Her lips were so perfect. They were exactly like Julia Robert's lips. Wide and plump with a bronzed tint.

My phone goes off and I immediately look at it, hoping it is Harry.

Rachel: It's taco Tuesday. You coming over for dinner?

"My son?" Anne asks amusedly.

I quickly reply 'yes' and lock my phone before turning back to Anne. "My sister. Asking me over for taco Tuesday."

"Ah, taco Tuesday. The way you were smiling made me think it was Harry."

I laugh. "Only tacos and your son can make me smile like that. Did you want to come over for dinner?"

"I appreciate the offer but you should spend it with your family. Will your parents be joining too?"

I pick up a strawberry and dip it into the chocolate sauce. I place my hand beneath it, to catch any spillage as I guide it towards my mouth. I squint my eyes as that was a rather sour strawberry. I dip my pinky finger in the chocolate sauce and lick it to get the bitter taste out of my mouth.

"I'm not sure if my parents will be joining. Is that why you declined? Because of my mum?"

Ever since Anne came into my life as a child, my mum has been jealous of my relationship with her. Anne has always been a second mother to me. Probably a better one than my own at times. And for that, my mother feels threatened and jealous.

The past two nights I have stayed at the hotel with Anne to keep her company and catch up on lost time. We watched rom-coms, did face masks and even did a little baking. The chocolate coated strawberries is the first bad food that I have had since her arrival because she has been feeding me all the good stuff.