27. Paternity Test

Harry and I arrive at the hospital and he puts his hoodie over his head to avoid any attention. We head straight inside and to the elevators. After a forty second wait, the elevator stops at our ground level and we wait for the people to get out before getting in. We were both silent the entire trip here and it has remained that way inside the elevator.

"I'm sorry okay."

I don't know what he wants me to say and to be honest, I have no idea what to say. It is best if I just stay silent.

I lead the way to Dr Avery's room which is the same room I have had every single check up in. Harry and Dr Avery formally meet and we take a seat on the two chairs beside her desk. She asks me a few questions on how I've been feeling and I answer them honestly. 

"And the stomach pains you've been experiencing. How are they?"

Harry looks at me with concern. "What stomach pains?"

Dr Avery opens her mouth to say something but I speak instead.

"I was getting pains because of my high stress levels. I was doing well, controlling the stress as best as I could given my sisters circumstances but the past two days the pain has returned."

Dr Avery places her hand on my shoulder. "Hailey, I know it is hard to control things like this but I cannot tell you enough about how important it is for the health of your baby to try your very best to stay away from anything that causes you stress. Given everything that has been happening with your sister I understand it isn't easy, but other things..." her eyes wander over to Harry. "You have to control them or avoid them for the sake of your baby. Have you done those breathing exercises I told you about?"

I nod. "Yeah, they have helped."

"Okay, good. Mr Styles, if you want to see the baby we can do an ultrasound for you if you would like." She closes her eyes and shakes her head. "Sorry, we should do the paternity test first."

"Thank you and please, call me Harry" he smiles at her.

She returns the smile and points to the bed. "No worries, Harry. Hailey, if you'll sit on the bed over there for me." I get up and walk over to the bed and sit on the edge as I watch Dr Avery type away at her keyboard. 

Harry walks over to me and stands beside me as I sit on the bed. Dr Avery turns to us on her swivel chair. "Harry, I will draw some blood from your arm and I will also draw some blood from you Hailey."

"Why do you need to draw Hailey's blood? Will that harm the baby?" Harry asks with concern. 

"I will be drawing the blood from Hailey's arm and because she is carrying the baby, the baby's DNA is in with Hailey's. This will not harm the baby at all."

Harry looks at me and places his hand on my arm. "Are you alright with this?"

I roll up the sleeve of my jumper. "Yes."

Dr Avery draws blood from Harry and a few minutes later, from me.

"I will send your bloodwork through and results usually take up to 5 weeks but I can push for them to be in within 4-5 days."

"Thank you for that. Will you give us a call or?" Harry asks.

"I will call both you and Hailey to let you know."

I put my jumper back on to prepare to leave as that is all we needed to do for the paternity test.

"Would it be possible for me to see the baby?" Harry asks her.

She smiles at him. "Of course. Hailey, if you will lay down for me and you know the drill from there."

I stop putting my jumper back on and place it beside me as I lay down. I wriggle up to the top of the bed and lift my shirt.