The Monster at the End of This Book [5]

A young Maxima laid down on the floor across from Samantha, who was sitting. Maxima moved a piece across the Stratego board.

A young Fox was sitting in front of the tv.

Maxima sighed in defeat "Do we have to watch this, Fox?"

"Leave it," Fox said "I'm watching The Magician at nine,"

"But it's my birthday and Mom and Dad said I could watch Doctor Who,"

"They're next door at the Galbrands and they said I'm in charge,"

Maxima rolled her eyes and got up and changed the channel to Doctor Who.

Fox sat up "Hey!" He changed the channel back to the news and stood, towering over Maxima.

"Guys, please don't fight," Samantha pleaded.

Fox started to walk back towards the tv, Maxima clenched her fists when the power went out.

Maxima stared bewildered "I didn't do it,"

"Of course you didn't stupid. The fuse blew,"

A painting of Fox and his dog started moving against the wall.

"Fox! Maxima!" Samantha screamed.

Maxima looked around as the Stratego pieces shook along the board.

On the fireplace mantel, pictures fell and knickknacks toppled over. The plug in the wall socket exploded in sparks.

The kids looked towards the window, where weird red and blue lights flashed through.

Fox moved up to the window and looked through.

The chandelier was shaking, and Fox looked at that. A weird glow started emanating through the door.

"Fox..." Maxima called out as she watched the light, turning to see her brother still intrigued by what was going on through the window. Maxima turned back towards the door as it opened and a bright light shined through. Maxima tilted her head to the side as a man in a trenchcoat and crystal blue eyes appeared at the door "Who are you?"

***

Maxima looked at the pages in shock, going over each line over and over again. She flipped through the pages frantically not believing what she had just read "There's no way..." Maxima flipped the pages over, hoping there was something she had missed.

"Max...I'm so sorry," Chuck said.

Maxima shook her head as tears blurred her eyes until the words on the pages became nothing but smudges. "He couldn't have...I don't remember any of this. Fox, doesn't remember any of this. All there were bright lights and our sister floating in the air. Castiel wasn't there!" Maxima looked over at Chuck in bewilderment "Why was he there? Why didn't he save my sister?!"

Chuck held out another set of papers "He was there for you,"

Maxima scanned the pages that Chuck had just handed her. Her fists scrunched up the papers, crinkling them into a scrunch.

Chuck grimaced seeing it happen but understood...he just wished he hadn't been the messenger to reveal it.

"I have to go," Maxima said hurriedly as she headed back towards the door. Maxima glanced down at the pages she still held and back over at Chuck "Do you mind if I..."

Chuck nodded "They're yours to keep,"

Maxima nodded and opened the front door only to be shocked by the person that was standing there "Dean..."

Chuck wasn't phased by the Winchester's appearance "You look terrible,"

Dean glared passed Maxima and over towards the author "That's 'cause I just got hit by a minivan, Chuck,"

"Oh,"

Maxima saw Dean's look and knew what was about to happen "Dean..." she warned.

Dean pushed passed Maxima and over towards Chuck "That it? Every damn thing you write about me comes true; that's all you have to say is oh?!"

"Please don't yell at me," Chuck said.

"Why do I get the feeling there's something that you're not telling us?"

"What wouldn't I be telling you?"

"How you know what you know, for starters!"

"I don't know how I know, I just do!"

"That's not good enough." Dean shoved Chuck against the wall.

"Dean, hey!" Maxima argued as she tried to get between the two.

"How the hell are you doing this?!"

Castiel appeared out of nowhere, Maxima felt her fists tighten around the pages she held. "Dean, let him go!"

Dean released Chuck and turned to face Castiel.

"This man is to be protected," Castiel continued.

"Why?" Dean demanded.

"He's a Prophet of the Lord,"

"You...You're Castiel...aren't you?" Chuck questioned.

"It's an honor to meet you, Chuck. I...admire your work," Castiel picked up one of the books and started paging through it.

"Whoa, whoa, what?" Dean exclaimed "This guy, a prophet? Come on, he's-he's...practically a Penthouse Forum writer."
he looked over at Maxima who only continued to watch Castiel "Did you know about this?"

"No," Maxima glowered as she continued to glare holes into Castiel, the angel showing no knowledge of noticing.

Chuck had stumbled over to his armchair; he cracked open a fresh bottle of whiskey and poured himself some. "I, uh, I might have dreamt about it,"

Maxima turned her gaze from Castiel and over to Chuck "And you didn't tell us?!"

"It was too preposterous. Not to mention arrogant. I mean, writing yourself into the story is one thing, but as a prophet? That's like M. Night-level douchiness," Chuck finished his tirade and desperately gulped down the whiskey.

Maxima walked over to Castiel, the pages still gripped tightly in her hand. "This is the guy who decides our fate?"

"He isn't deciding anything. He's a mouthpiece-a conduit for the inspired word," Castiel explained.

"The word? The word of god?What, like the new testament?"

"One day, these books-they'll be known as the Winchester gospel,"

Dean and Chuck overheard the duo's conversation "You got to be kidding me,"

"I am not...kidding you,"

"If you'd please excuse me one minute," Chuck muttered as he stood up, still clutching the bottle, and disappeared upstairs.

"Dean, go check on Sam," Maxima ordered.

"What the prophet has written can't be unwritten." Castiel proclaimed "As he has seen it, so it shall pass,"

"We can damn well try," Dean said "M?"

Maxima continued to look at Castiel, Dean understood the message without her having to say what she was doing "I'll meet you there,"

Once Dean left, Maxima grabbed a hold of Castiel's arm and teleported them someplace different.

Castiel looked around the room.

"This place should look familiar to you, Castiel." Maxima glowered "After all you were here the night my sister disappeared,"