Death Takes a Holiday [5]

In the open space in the middle of the funeral home, there was a square with triangles on each side to form an eight-pointed star, with squiggles at each point. Lying in the figure are Tess and an old man in a suit, presumably the first reaper.

Sam and Dean came for a closer look.

On the far side of the reaper trap, was a demon standing guard.

"Dude, check me out," Dean whispered to Sam. He took a few steps forward and vanished. Dean reappeared behind the demon and tapped him on the shoulder; when the demon turned around, Dean punched him in the face.

When the demon straightened up and took a swing, Dean was gone. The demon looked around: he and the reapers were the only ones visible.

A hand tapped the demon's shoulder; this time it was Sam who punched him.

Dean had reappeared on the demon's other side and punched again.

Sam kneed the demon in the chest.

The demon scrambled away.

Dean kicked him.

The demon hid behind the coffin on the dais.

Dean and Sam followed him up. "You know, this ghost thing, it's, it's kind of rad,"

Another demon came out from behind a curtain, carrying a chain and making pained noises.

The first demon scrambled over the coffin and out of the way.

The second demon pulled the chain tight and hooked it to a candle stand.

"It's iron," Sam realized

The demon let go of the chain. His hands were smoking.

Sam and Dean looked around; the chain surrounding them.

A third demon came into the room "Boys." he greeted "Find the place okay?" his eyes rolled white, revealing himself to be Alastair. Alastair's eyes returned to human. He walked up to the chain.

One of the demons handed Alastair a shotgun and left.

Alastair checked the shotgun, then aimed at Dean and fired.

Dean disintegrated.

"Rock salt's not so much fun anymore, is it?" Alastair teased

Sam glared at Alastair.

Dean reappeared "Alastair. You bastard,"

"Well, go on. Why don't you try some of your mojos on me now, hotshot?" Alastair egged

Dean glanced at Sam who was fuming.

"It's hard to get it up when you're not wearing your meat, huh?"

"Go to hell," Sam spat

"Ah, if only I could," Alastair turned away, crossing the room "But they just keep sending me up to this arctic craphole,"

"To kill death?" Dean asked

"No, to kill death twice. It takes two to break a seal. I figured another one would show up, though. They're like lemmings." Alastair pumped the shotgun and fired.

Sam disintegrated.

Alastair came back up to the chain "By the way, it's, uh, good to see you again, Dean,"

"You can shoot us all you want, but you can't kill us," Dean seethed

Sam reappeared, his arms wrapped around his torso.

"Ah, that so?" Alastair was holding a scythe, turning it over in his hands "Anyhoo..."

Dean and Sam watched Alastair.

"Moon's in the right spot. The board is set. Let's get started, shall we?"

"You're gonna kill a reaper with that? It's a little on the nose, don't you think?" Dean asked

"Is it? An old friend lent it to me. You know, he doesn't really ride a pale horse? But he does have three amigos." Alastair went over to the reapers "And they're just jonesing for the apocalypse." he knelt down next to the old man reaper "It pays to have friends in low places." Alastair grabbed the reaper by the collar and hauled him up "Don't you think?" he put the scythe behind the reaper's neck. "Hic cruor messorius, illud sigillum, quod luciferem reverendum obstringit, aperiat ut resurgat!" Alastair pulled the scything. White-blue light shone as Alastair lowered the dead reaper to the floor before straightening up.

Sam looked up: There was a chandelier hanging above the reaper trap.

Alastair stepped over the dead Reaper and grabbed Tessa by the shoulder, holding the scythe to her neck.

Tessa was awake.

Sam glanced between Dean and the chandelier.

"Stop!" Tessa pleaded

Dean stared at the chandelier and concentrated

"Hic cruor messorius..." Alastair began to chant

Sam stared at the chandelier and concentrated.

"...Illud sigillum, quod luciferem reverendum obstringit..." The chandelier was shaking with the force Sam and Dean were applying.

Tessa watched them.

"...aperiat ut..." The chandelier fell "...resurgat!" The chandelier landed on a corner of the reaper trap, breaking it.

Tessa vanished. She reappeared at the candle stand and unhooked the chain.

"Bye-bye," Dean said

Tessa, Dean, and Sam vanished.