Fire

Fox, Scully and I walked to Fox's car. I was walking with Scully as Fox walked behind us carrying a stack of books. "I forgot what it was like to spend a day in court," I sighed

"Well, that's surprising seeing as you traveled with two felons,"

"At least they don't treat my work like some form of a laughing stock,"

"Hey, I would like them if they actually believed in aliens,"

I bit my lip, wanting to correct him that it was now only one true believer, but shook my head as I headed for the rear passenger side of the car.

Fox put the books on top of the car and reached into his pocket to take out the keys. Scully laughed and opened the door.

"It's open," she told her partner

"What?"

"It's unlocked," I told him

"That's weird. I'm sure I locked it,"

"Must be an X-File." Scully mocked as we got in the car. Fox smiled, took the books and got in the car "What's that?"

Fox looked to see a cassette sitting on the dashboard. "I told you I locked the door," he took the tape out of it's case and looked at it.

"What do you think it is?" I asked

"Ten-to-one, you can't dance to it," he put the tape in and it played. A woman with a British accent spoke.

"Greetings, Agent Mulder. Six months ago, British Minister of Parliament Reggie Ellicott received an audio cassette much like the one you are listening to now. Unfortunately for Mr. Ellicott, when he popped the tape into the car stereo, he armed a device, which, when he tried to exit the car, created an explosion that was heard five miles away. The Scotland Yard Forensic Team could only identify the poor bastard by his dental records. If only he hadn't reached for the door handle and triggered the detonator. But then how was he to know he was sitting on enough plastique explosive to lift the car forty feet in the air and deposit the engine block on top of a three-story building?"

The door opened and Scully gasped. A woman, looked in. She was the woman on the tape.

"Aren't we looking rather ghostly?" she asked

Fox looked at me and Scully as I edged my hand for my gun "It's an old friend," He got out of the car.

I looked at Scully "An old friend that was about to get a bullet hole," I got out of the car and flinched when I saw the woman kiss Fox. My memory flashing to the final moments I had with Dean.

"You know, some mistakes are quite worth making twice," The woman told him

"Dana Scully, Maxima Mulder, this is Phoebe Green," Fox introduced us to the woman "terror of Scotland Yard,"

I nodded in greeting.

"Hello," Green greeted

"Hello," Scully said.

"She hates me," Green whispered to Fox.

"What brings you to the colonies?" Fox asked her

***

Fox was sitting down and looking at pictures of severely charred men. I stood over his shoulder as Phoebe sat across from us, Scully was standing.

"Some clever bloke has been giving the aristocracy a good scare." Green explained "Killed off a ranking member of Parliament or three for good measure. Set Windsor Castle ablaze,"

"Your car bomber?" Fox asked and even I could help but snort at his question.

"No." Green said "This one likes to burn his victims alive. Can't figure out how he does it either. Not a crumb of evidence left at the crime scene. The last one died in his front garden, his poor young wife watching helplessly as he went up in smoke,"

"The Irish Republican Army?"

"Our suspect likes to send love letters to his victims' wives." Green stood up "Sent one to the wife of Sir Malcolm Marsden a month ago. Three days later, he narrowly escaped a fire in his garage. Burned to the ground. So they're renting a place out on Cape Cod. Bringing the family over to the states for an extended holiday or until we can catch the dirty bugger,"

"You think he's that determined?"

"Judging by his success, he seems to take a certain delight in his work,"

"So what brings you on this detour to Washington, D.C., Inspector?" I voiced

"I figured my friend Mulder couldn't resiste a three-pipe problem,"

"I'll run it by our arson specialist," Fox told her

"Splendid. I'll call London, let them know,"

Fox nodded. Green walked over to the chair, took her coat and bag, and opened the door. She turned back and looked at me and Scully "Oh, goodbye,"

Scully waved goodbye. Phoebe left. "Three-pipe problem?"

"That's, uh, from Sherlock Holmes. It's a private joke,"

I raised an eyebrow "I thought it was three-patch problem,"

Fox rolled his eyes "That's the Benedict Cumberbatch version, not Arthur Conan Doyle,"

I shrugged and then looked at him confused "How private of a joke?"

"Um...we knew each other in school in England. She was brillaint and, uh, I got in over my head and, uh, paid the price,"

"Mulder, you just keep unfolding like a flower," Scully told him "How come you didn't know her?" Scully asked me.

I shrugged "Probably had my nose stuck in a book,"

"Or was busy looking for a blue police box," Mulder snickered

I rolled my eyes "You know I couldn't help but notice how you couldn't drop everything fast enough in order to help her out,"

"Oh, I was merely extending her a professional courtesy,"

"Oh, is that what you were extending?" Scully sassed

"Look, I'm going to run this by the arson guys and then she's on her own," Mulder walked out.

I opened the door and looked at Scully "Something tells me he's not going to get rid of her that easily,"

"Almost like you with those keys?" Scully asked, looking at my hand. I looked down at my hand and realized what I was holding, immediately digging them deep into my pocket.

"I'm fine," I told her as I walked out of the office.