The Monster at the End of this Book [2]

Sam, Dean, and Special Agent Maxima Mulder approached the run-down...approached the ramshackle house with trepidation.

Dean, Sam, and Maxima got out of the Impala.

Did they really want to learn the secrets that lay beyond that door?

Sam, Dean, and Max stopped in front of the door, sharing a look, and shrugged.

Sam, Dean, and Maxima traded soulful looks. Then, with Determination, Maxima pushed the doorbell with forceful...determination.

Max rang the doorbell.

The door was answered by a man.

"You Chuck Shurley?" Maxima questioned, "The Chuck Shurley who wrote the 'Supernatural' books?"

"Maybe. Why?" Chuck asked.

"I'm Dean. This is Sam and Special Agent Maxima Mulder." Dean introduced before Max could take out her badge "The ones you've been writing about,"

Chuck closed the door.

Maxima rang the bell again, glaring at Dean "Thought we agreed on the gentle approach,"

Chuck opened the door. "Look, uh...I appreciate your enthusiasm. Really, I do. It's, uh, it's always nice to hear from fans. But, uh, for your own good, I strongly suggest you get a life." He tried to shut the door, but Max put out a hand to stop it.

"See, here's the thing. We have a life. You've been using it to write your books," Maxima shoved the door open and entered, forcing Chuck to back up into the house.

"Now, wait a minute. Now, this isn't funny,"

"Damn straight, it's not funny. You used my sister's abduction as a sappy origin story for your own financial gain!"

Sam stopped Max from going after the man "Look, we just want to know how you're doing it,"

"I'm not doing anything," Chuck argued.

"Are you a hunter?" Dean asked.

"What? No. I'm a writer,"

"Then how do you know so much about demons?" Dean advanced on Chuck, who fell onto the couch "And Tulsa's, and changelings?"

"Is this some kind of 'Misery' thing? Ah, it is, isn't it? It's a 'Misery' thing!"

"No, it's not a 'Misery' thing." Maxima argued, "Believe me, we are not fans!"

"Well, then, what do you want?!"

"I'm Sam. And that's Dean, and this is Maxima,"

"Sam and Dean are fictional characters...and so is Maxima Mulder. I made her up from the articles on Fox Mulder...I made them all up! They're not real!"

"If you read those articles you would see my name next to Fox's!" Maxima argued.

"You know what..." Dean grabbed Chuck and dragged him over to the Impala. He opened the trunk of the Impala, displaying the arsenal.

Chuck looked at the display in shock "Are those real guns?"

"Yup. This is real rock salt, these are real fake IDs...minus Maxima's...her's is real,"

"Well, I got to hand it to you guys. You really are my number one fans. That's, that's awesome. So, I-I think I've got some posters in the house,"

"Chuck, stop," Maxima ordered.

"Please. Wait. Please, don't hurt me,"

"How much do you know? Do you know about the angels? Or Lilith breaking the seals?" Sam demanded.

"Wait a minute. How do you know about that?"

"The question is how do you," Dean said.

"Because I wrote it?"

Max raised an eyebrow "You kept writing?"

"Yeah, even after the publisher went bankrupt, but those books never came out. Okay, wait a minute. This is some kind of joke, right? Did that-Did Phil put you up to this?"

"Well, nice to meet you. I'm Dean Winchester, and this is my brother, Sam and my girlfriend Maxima,"

"The last names were never in the books. I never told anybody about that. I never even wrote that down," Chuck murmured as he walked back into his house.

Max shrugged at the boys as she followed after the crazed author.

Chuck poured himself a large whiskey and gulped it down, then set the glass on the kitchen sink. He turned around, seeing Maxima, and groaned. "Oh! Oh, you're still there,"

"Yup," Max said.

"You're not a hallucination,"

"Nope,"

"Well, there's only one explanation. Obviously, I'm a god,"

Maxima shook her head in denial "You're not a god,"

"How else do you explain it? I write things and then they come to life. Yeah, no, I'm definitely a god. A cruel, cruel, capricious god. The things I put you through-The physical beatings alone,"

"Yeah, we're still in one piece," Maxima claimed as she looked over at the boys as they looked over Chuck's papers.

"I killed their father. I burned their mother alive. And then Sam had to go through the whole horrific deal again with Jessica...and your sister,"

Max shut her eyes as she clenched her fists to stop herself "Chuck..."

"All for what? All for the sake of literary symmetry. I toyed with your lives, your emotions, for...entertainment,"

Maxima's eyes snapped open and she glanced over at Dean, Chuck's words getting the better of her as it made her begin to question.

Dean seemed to notice the look and walked over "You didn't toy with us, Chuck, okay? You didn't create us,"

"Did you really have to live through the bugs?" Chuck asked.

"Yeah,"

"What about the ghost ship?"

"Yes, that too,"

"I am so sorry. I mean, horror is one thing, but to be forced to live bad writing...if I would have known it was real, I would have done another pass,"

"Chuck, you're not a god!" Maxima shouted out of frustration.

"We think you're probably just psychic," Sam voiced.

"No. If I were psychic, you think I'd be writing?" Chuck challenged "Writing is hard,"

"It seems that somehow, you're just...focused on our lives,"

"Yeah, like laser-focused." Dean said, "Are you working on anything right now?"

Chuck looked up in realization "Holy crap,"

"What?" Sam questioned.

Chuck picked up some pages "The, uh, latest book? It's, uh, it's kind of weird,"

"'Weird' how?" Maxima asked as she crossed her arms.

"It's very Vonnegut,"

Max looked over at Dean for a simplification.

"'Slaughterhouse-Five' Vonnegut or 'Cat's Cradle' Vonnegut?" Dean asked.

Maxima shook her head in defeat.

"What?" Dean asked defensively.

"It's, uh, 'Kilgore Trout' Vonnegut." Chuck replied "I wrote myself into it. I wrote myself, at my house...confronted by my characters,"