The Rapture [2]

"The hell are you talking about, I can't go home?" Jimmy demanded.

Maxima sighed as she leaned against the motel door and crossed her arms "There's a good chance you have a bulls-eye on your back,"

"What? From who?"

"Demons,"

"Come on, that's crazy. What do they want with me?"

"Same thing I've been wanting...information,"

"I don't know anything," Jimmy argued.

"I know, but..."

"Look, I'm done, okay? With demons, angels, all of it. I just want to go home,"

"I understand..."

"I don't think that you do understand. I've been shot and stabbed and healed, and my body has been dragged all over the Earth. By some miracle, I'm out, and I'm done. I've given enough, okay?"

"Look, all I'm saying is that until we figure this out, the safest place is with me,"

"How long?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it,"

Jimmy shook his head and tried to move past Maxima to get to the door.

Maxima flicked her wrist to push Jimmy back further into the room "Where are you going?"

"To see my wife and daughter, okay?"

"No, you're not. You're just going to put those people in danger,"

"So, what, now I'm a prisoner?"

Maxima leaned her head back in distress "And this is why I don't deal with Witness Protection,"

***

Maxima was watching as Samantha swung on their childhood swingset back home.

"Hey, Max," Anna greeted causing Maxima to jump.

"Aah! Jeez," Maxima scolded as she glared at the redhead. "You angels ever try calling ahead?"

"I like the element of surprise," Anna shrugged.

Maxima looked Anna up and down "Well, you look terrific,"

"Um, yeah, not the most appropriate time, Max. So, what'd Jimmy tell you? He remember anything?"

Maxima quirked an eyebrow "Why? What's going on?"

"It's Cas. He got sent back home. Well, more like dragged back,"

"To heaven? That's not a good thing?"

"No. That's a very bad thing. Painfully, awfully bad. He must have seriously pissed someone off,"

"Cas said he had something to tell me." Maxima admitted as she went back to watching Samantha on the swings "Something important,"

"What?"

Maxima shook her head "I don't know,"

"Does Jimmy know?"

"I don't think so,"

"You don't think so? Whatever it is, it's huge. You gotta find out for sure,"

"That's why I'm taking him to a safe house until I can regroup with the boys,"

"You sure about that?"

Maxima woke up and noticed the empty seat next to her. "Son of a bitch,"

***

Jimmy walked towards his house.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Maxima hissed as she appeared next to him causing Jimmy to jump.

"I need to see my family,"

"And tell them what...that you were possessed by an Angel who took you for a joy ride?!"

Jimmy rolled his eyes and rang the doorbell.

Amelia answered the door and looked at the duo in shock and confusion.

"Hi Mrs. Novak, I'm Special Agent Mulder of the FBI. I'm sorry I was under the impression that my agency called letting you know that I was bringing your husband home," Maxima lied as she showed her badge to Amelia.

Amelia gulped as she looked at Jimmy "We, uh-we stopped looking for you,"

"I'm so sorry," Jimmy apologized.

"You were dead. We, uh-we thought you were dead,"

"I'm okay,"

Maxima looked around "Perhaps it best if we take this conversation inside,"

"Of course," Amelia nodded as she stepped aside to allow the duo inside.

Maxima noticed a girl come down the stairs and approach them "Hello,"

Amelia turned "Claire. Room. Now,"

Claire sighed but went back up the stairs.

"Can I see her?" Jimmy asked.

"No." Amelia said "No. I don't know yet. It's been almost a year, you know?"

"I know, I know,"

"Yeah. Think your daughter would have wanted to know you were okay?"

"We found him in a psych clinic," Maxima claimed.

"I just wanted to get myself straight before seeing you," Jimmy nodded.

"Oh. And no telephones, or..." Amelia wondered.

"No, I know. You're right. I'm-I'm so sorry. But it's all...it's all over now. I mean, I'm-I'm really ok,"

Amelia looked at Maxima "What does that mean?"

"I was-I was confused, Amelia. I was completely delusional. And I thought-I thought God was calling me to something and I thought that it was important, and I was wrong. I was such an idiot. Heaven, hell...none of that matters. The only that's important to me is you and Claire. And I-I can't undo what I've done. But I just wanna come home again,"

"I don't know if I can do that." Amelia admitted "Not yet,"

"I mean, whatever you're comfortable with. Maybe we could start with something smaller?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Dinner?"

Amelia nodded and headed towards the kitchen.

Jimmy turned towards Maxima with a puppy dog-eyed look.

Maxima huffed "I'll be back with a car, I'll give you the night...but I'm telling you it's not safe for you right now. We'll go to my safe house and figure out a way to keep you and your family hidden from demons and bring you back. Deal?"

Jimmy nodded "Thank you,"

"Don't thank me yet, not until we can get these demons off your ass,"