When the Levee Breaks

Maxima poured three glasses and brought them over to the men in the library, saving one glass for herself.

"How long is this gonna go on?" Dean wondered as the group listened to Sam's scream of pain.

"I never really dealt with drug-related detoxes, so don't look at me," Maxima said.

"No telling how long it'll take," Bobby admitted. "Hell, or if Sam will even live through it,"

"Bobby," Maxima hissed.

The man rolled his eyes and answered his house phone. "Hello? Suck dirt and die, Rufus. You call me again, and I'll kill you," he slammed the phone back on the receiver.

"What's up with Rufus?" Dean asked.

"He knows," Bobby admitted.

Maxima groaned as she felt her phone vibrate. "Speaking of drama," she answered her cell. "What is it, Fox?"

"Have you seen the news lately?" Fox asked.

Maxima looked over at the two men.

***

"The news. And the news ain't good." Bobby reported.

Dean looked over the papers. "This is what your brother called about? 'Key West sees 10 species go extinct'?"

"Plus, Alaska...15-man fishing crew, all stricken blind..." Maxima reported "cause unknown. New York...teacher goes postal, locks the door, kills exactly 66 kids. All this in a single day," she sighed.

"I looked them up." Bobby agreed. "There's no doubt about it. They're all seals,"

"Breaking fast,"

Dean looked over at Maxima. "How many are left?"

"Look, just because I just found out about a certain ordeal. It doesn't mean I'm fully in tune with this angel radio thing. But my count...not many,"

"Where the hell are your angel pals?" Bobby asked.

"Castiel's not my pal," Maxima huffed as she crossed her arms. "He ditched me without an explanation last time we met,"

"I'm just wondering..." Bobby voiced, "with the apocalypse being nigh and all, is now really the right time to be having this little domestic drama of ours?"

"What do you mean?" Dean snapped.

"Well, I don't like this any more than you do, but...Sam can kill demons,"

"Yeah, and so can Max,"

"Yeah, with powers that I don't truly have a handle on," Maxima reminded. "Maybe Bobby's right..."

"So, what, sacrifice Sam's life, his soul, for the greater good? Is that what you're saying? Times are bad, so let's use Sam as a nuclear warhead?"

"Look, I know you hate me for suggesting it," Bobby said. "I hate myself for suggesting it. I love that boy like a son. All I'm saying is, maybe he's here right now instead of on the battlefield 'cause we love him too much,"

***

Maxima held her arms against herself as she stood outside the darkened scrapyard. She turned when she felt the familiar electrical tingle whenever Castiel revealed himself. "I was beginning to think you weren't going to show." she said. "I've been standing out here for about 2 ½ hours,"

"What do you want?" Castiel asked.

Maxima rolled her eyes. "Take your pick, we can talk about what happened in Illinois, or we can talk about what's going on with Sam,"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't act like it never happened,"

"Well, it wasn't anything of import,"

"Nothing of import...you nearly ruined a family's life! And that's not of import!"

"I can't," Castiel admitted. "I'm sorry,"

Maxima bit her lip "Is it true? Can he do it? Kill Lilith, stop the apocalypse?"

"Possibly, yes. But as you know, he'd have to take certain steps,"

"The Demon's blood," Maxima nodded.

"Consuming the amount of blood it would take to kill Lilith would change Sam forever. Most likely, he would become the next creature you would feel compelled to kill. There's no reason this would have to come to pass, Maxima. We believe it's you, Maxima,"

Maxima looked up into Castiel's blue eyes at the mention.

"Not Sam, not Dean. The only question for us is whether you're willing to accept it. Stand up and accept your role. You are the one who will stop it,"

"If I do this...." Maxima hesitated. "Sam doesn't have to?"

"If it gives you comfort to see it that way,"

"You are such a dick," Maxima scoffed as she paced. She glanced towards Bobby's house and sighed in defeat. "Fine. I'm in,"

"Do you give yourself wholly to the service of God and his angels?"

"You make it sound like we're getting married," Maxima laughed, only to sober up when she noticed the angel's stern look. "I do," she nodded.

"Say it,"

"I give myself wholly to serve God...and his angels," Maxima repeated.

"You swear to follow his will and his words as swiftly and obediently as you did serving the government?"

"I swear,"