The Monster at the End of this Book [4]

Maxima was now reading the manuscript as Sam and Dean looked over a menu.

"Hey, this could be a good thing." Dean noted "I mean, if this is what puts us on the path to Lilith, then all we got to do is get off the path,"

"How do you mean?" Sam questioned.

"It's a blueprint of what not to do. I mean, if the pages say that we go left..."

"Then we go right,"

"Exactly. We get off-book. We never make it to the end. It's Opposite Day. It says that we, uh, we get into a fight. So, no fighting. No research for you..."

"No bacon cheeseburger for you," Max spoke.

Dean seemed shattered at the thought. "Yeah, no problem. I'll just order something else."

The waitress approached.

"Hi, uh, what's good?"

"Well, if you like burgers, Oprah's girlfriend said we have the best bacon cheeseburgers in the country," The Waitress explained causing Sam to laugh.

"Really?"

"I'll just have the Cobb salad, please," Sam ordered.

"Make that two," Maxima said as she handed her the menu.

"I'll have the...veggie tofu burger. Thanks," Dean said.

The Waitress took their menus and left.

"De...seriously? There were other choices other than a bacon burger. Like a regular cheeseburger," Max said.

"Oh sure, now you tell me," Dean huffed.

"This whole thing's ridiculous," Sam said.

"Lilith is ridiculous?" Maxima challenged.

"The idea of me hooking up with her is,"

Max nodded "Right. 'Cause something like that can never happen,"

Sam scowled "Max, for the first time, we have warning that Lilith is close,"

"So?" Dean asked.

"So...we've got the jump on her. If we know when she's coming, we know where she's-this is an opportunity,"

"Are you..." Dean controlled his temper "It frustrates me when you say such reckless things,"

"Well, it frustrates me when you'd rather hide than fight,"

Maxima opened her mouth to rebuttal when the Waitress intervened.

"Cobb salads. And the tofu veggie burger for you," The Waitress left allowing Max to finally speak.

"It's not hiding. It's being smart," Maxima argued.

Dean nodded in agreement "It's picking your battles. This is a battle that we are not ready to fight," he took a huge bite of his burger and his eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, my god. This is delicious. Tofu is amazing!"

The waitress approached the table, once again, with a flustered look "I am so sorry. I gave you the bacon cheeseburger by mistake." she took Dean's plate away.

***

Sam, Dean, and Maxima drove up to a very sleazy-looking motel and pulled into the parking lot.

"Dude, this place charges by the hour," Sam noted.

"Yeah, well, the book says Lilith finds you at the Red Motel. Hence, the uh, hooker inn. It's Opposite Day, remember?"

***

Dean dropped a bag on the bed and started pulling out items. He took a few small string-tied bags and placed them around the room.

"What are you doing?" Sam wondered.

"Couple of hex bags ought to Lilith-proof the room," Dean claimed.

"So, what? I'm supposed to just hole up here all night?"

"That's exactly what you're gonna do, okay?" Dean pointed over at Maxima "And no research. I don't care what you do-use the Magic Fingers or watch Casa Erotica on Pay-Per-View," Dean reached into Sam and Maxima's bags and pulled out their laptops, smiling.

"Are you shitting me?!" Max exclaimed "I've got work documents on that thing, Dean,"

"Just call it a little insurance,"

Maxima huffed as she sat on the edge of the bed "Fine, then you get the couch tonight,"

Dean bit his tongue "Well, I'm gonna go park the Impala. Behave yourselves, would you? No homework. Watch some porn," He smiled, pleased with himself, and left.

Sam and Max fumed.

Maxima shook her head and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Sam wondered.

"Out." Max rolled her eyes "You're a big boy Sam. I can assume you're able to watch after yourself," with that she disappeared.

***

Chuck opened the door to reveal Maxima.

"You don't seem surprised to see me. But then again, I'm sure you saw this coming," Max reasoned.

Chuck looked around shiftily before opening the door wider for Maxima to enter. He shut the door behind her.

Max fidgeted with her hands as she became nervous about her current situation.

Chuck read the situation, then again he wrote that this would happen. "Maxima...you don't have to ask. I already know why you're here,"

"I just...whenever I ask Castiel, he just remains silent or goes off somewhere else...and Uriel, the guy gives me the creeps and he's cryptic as fuck, as if he's teasing me cause he knows and I don't," Max released a long breath as she finally turned to look at Chuck "I just...I was just wondering how much you know. About me, because when this all started I had believed I was nothing more than an FBI agent helping my brother search the stars for our sister who he believes was abducted by aliens! Only to find out that Yellow Eyes has been keeping a special eye on me... Uriel told me it's not just Azazel's blood that flows through me. If I'm to understand my part in this game between heaven and hell, I need to know everything,"