Time Is on My Side

"You ran the prints twice?" I asked into my phone "Are you sure? Okay. Yeah, just chalk it up to lab error. Don't I know it. Okay. Thanks. Yeah, I'll tell Foxy you said hi..bye Abs," I hung up the phone as Sam and Dean entered the cabin. "Bury the body?"

"Yeah." Dean said "Looks like these demons ride 'em hard just for kicks." Sam tossed him a beer as he crashed tiredly onto a couch.

Sam looked over at me "What was the phone call about?"

"Remember that thing in the paper yesterday?" I asked

"'Stripper suffocates dude with thighs'?" Dean guessed

I rolled my eyes "The other thing,"

"Right, the guy that walks into the E.R. and kneels over dead. His stomach's ripped out?" Sam said

"His liver, actually." I corrected "Anyways, I just found out something pretty damn interesting,"

"What?" Dean asked

"The dead body covered in bloody fingerprints, not the victim's,"

"Okay, great. My man Dave Caruso will be stoked to hear it,"

"Those fingerprints match a guy who died in 1981,"

"Really." Sam said as I nodded

"So, what are we talking?" Dean asked "Uh, walking dead? Walking, killing dead?"

"Maybe,"

"Why are you interested in it?" I looked over at Sam, and Dean seemed to understand "You dragged her into this?! You've been on soul-saving detail for months now. And we're three weeks out, and all of a sudden, you're interested in some hot zombie action?"

"Hey, man, you're the one who's been all gung ho to hunt. I just thought I'd be doing you a favor," Sam argued

"Hey, no, no, no, no, no. I didn't say I didn't want to do it, okay. I mean obviously I want to hunt some zombies,"

"Okay, fine, whatever,"

***

Dean and Sam stood behind me as I watched the coroner, listening to his report. "Yeah, the rest of the body was intact. The liver was the only organ missing,"

"Now, where the liver was ripped out, did you happen to notice any...ah...teeth marks?"

"Can I see your badges?" I showed the coroner my FBI badge "What division?"

"X-Files," I said causing him to laugh

"Fine. So you're cops and morons,"

"Excuse me?" I snapped "We're very smart,"

"The liver was not ripped out. It was removed. Surgically. By someone who knew their way around a scalpel. Didn't you read my report?"

"Yes, sir. But my partners here wanted a look for themselves," I explained

"Please go away,"

"Okay," Dean said

"Sure," Sam said as he grinned as we walked out into the hallway.

"What?" I asked

"Nothing. So, that kind of punches a hole in our zombie theory, huh, that scalpel thing?"

"Yeah, zombie with skills..." I stopped

"'Dr. Quinn, medicine zombie'," Dean said

Sam noticed I had stopped walking "Max?"

"Maybe we're on the wrong track, looking for hacked-up corpses,"

"What should we be looking for?" Dean asked

"Survivors." I noted "This isn't zombie lunch. This is organ theft," I began to walk off

"Where are you going?"

"I've seen this before..."

Dean grabbed my arm "Uh, uh,"

"We're working an X-File right now Dean, trust me I'm coming back...but if we want to fight this thing head on...we need everything we can find," he let go of my arm "I'll see you boys back at the cabin,"

***

I scrounged through filing cabinet after filing cabinet, the light flicked on and I grabbed my gun, quickly aiming it at the newcomer. But seeing who it was, I froze "Maxima?"