Death Takes A Holiday [4]

Maxima entered Cole's room. She sat down next to the open closet.

Cole was just visible inside.

"This all must be pretty overwhelming, huh? Pretty scary, too." Max said

"The worst is my mom," Cole said

"Must be hard seeing her like this,"

Cole leaned out of the shadow. "She's always coming in here, talking to me, telling me hw sad she is. I knock stuff over to let her know I'm here, but...she only gets sadder,"

Max smiled a little "Well, you might want to ease up on the flying soccer balls," she teased

"I'm not telling you where the smoke is,"

Maxima sighed in thought "What if I told you that if you helped me, you wouldn't have to leave here? Ever?"

"What about the one downstairs?"

"Tessa?" Max scoffed "Oh, she wouldn't bother you. No reaper would. You could just stay here with your family for as long as you wanted,"

"You can do that?"

Maxima smiled "Yeah, you bet I can do that,"

"You swear?"

The question caused Max to pause in hesitation before she nodded "I swear,"

***

Maxima and Cole headed down the stairs where Sam, Dean, and Tessa were waiting. "Hey, guys,"

Tessa knelt down so she could be eye-level with Cole "Hey, Cole. I'm Tess. I'm not going to hurt you,"

Cole remained hidden behind Max's legs.

Maxima placed a reassuring hand on Cole's back "It's okay, Cole. Just tell them what you told me,"

"I saw the black smoke at my funeral," Cole admitted

"At the cemetery?" Dean asked

"At the funeral home. It was everywhere," The lights flickered.

Everyone looked around.

Dean looked at Tessa "You doing that?"

"No," Tessa admitted. The front door opened. Black smoke poured through, filling the house.

Everyone ducked as it poured over them. When it was gone, everyone looked around: Tessa was gone.

"Tessa!" Dean called out

Maxima looked Cole over "Cole, you okay?"

"Well, how the hell are we supposed to fight that?"

"I don't know. Learn some ghost moves?" Sam suggested

"By tonight? Yeah, sure. I'll meet you back at Mr. Miyagi's,"

"Who's Mr. Miyagi?" Cole asked

***

Dean, Cole, Sam, and Maxima stood on the porch. Dean was staring at a miniature windmill.

"It's not gonna move if you don't concentrate," Cole chastised

"I am concentrating," Dean argued

Max raised an amused eyebrow.

Dean let out a breath and glared. The windmill turned a quarter turn. "Ah, here we go, baby," The windmill stopped.

"You pull a muscle?" Maxima laughed

"All right, Yoda, let's see what you got," Dean challenged

Max looked at the windmill. It started spinning and didn't stop. The porch swing started swinging. The wind chimes started chiming.

Dean scoffed "Beginner's luck,"

Maxima stuck her tongue out at Dean playfully.

"This isn't even the good stuff," Cole grinned as he punched Sam in the stomach.

Sam folded over.

"See? If you want to hit something, you just got to get mad,"

Sam straightened up "Yeah, got it,"

Cole looked at Dean. "Now you try. Hit me,"

"Uh, I think I'll stick to just picking on somebody my own size," Dean indicated Maxima.

Cole whacked Dean in the face.

Sam and Max laughed.

Dean rubbed his face.

Cole went over to Sam "Hit me as hard as you can,"

"Dude, I'm not gonna do Fight Club with a twelve-year-old,"

Cole whacked Sam in the face.

Sam shook it off.

"All right, cut it out," Max said

"Make me," Cole took a swing at Maxima.

Max blocked and swung back.

Cole vanished.

Dean, Sam, and Maxima looked around.

Cole reappeared out of reach.

"Whoa." Dean marveled "Whoa, you got to teach us that,"

***

The walls of the funeral home were covered in glowing blue diagrams, mostly six-sided figures, some in circles and some in squares, all with lines through them and squiggles inside the triangles thus formed. Dean, Sam, and Maxima crossed the street to the funeral home.

Pedestrians went by, ignoring the trio and the glowing blue diagrams.

"This looks like New Jack City. Can nobody see this?" Dean questioned

"Maybe it's demon invisible ink. Only see it in the veil," Sam suggested

"Any idea what it's for?" Max wondered

"We'll find out,"

They walked towards the open door.

Sam went in.

Dean followed.

Sam went one way around the stairs, Dean the other. Sam shrugged: he saw nothing.

Dean turned around and realized someone was missing "Dude...where's M&M?"

***

Pamela was still sitting in the chair between the beds with Dean's, Sam's, and Maxima's bodies. When Maxima bolted upright gasping for breath.

"What the hell was that for?!" Max demanded, "Why did you pull me back?!"

"I didn't pull you back. I never even said the phrase to bring you back," Pamela admitted, just as confused as the former FBI Agent.

Maxima looked at Pamela in confusion "Then how am I back?"