The Rapture [4]

"You were right," Jimmy admitted once Maxima was able to get the family far away from the house.

"Sorry I was," Maxima said.

"But I'm telling you...I don't know anything,"

"I don't think they're inclined to believe you. And even if they did, you're a vessel. They're still gonna want to know what makes you tick. So I'm going to say it again, you're putting your family in danger. You have to come with me,"

Jimmy glanced back to where Claire and Amelia were waiting in the car. "How long? And don't give me that 'cross that bridge when we get to it' crap,"

"I think you already know the answer to that question," Maxima said as she looked at the family.

Jimmy nodded "Can I say goodbye?"

Maxima nodded and turned away to give the family their space.

Jimmy opened the car door "Hey,"

"So...I pretty much owe you the biggest apology ever," Amelia sighed.

"No, you don't," Jimmy said.

"Yes. I do. I'm so sorry, Jimmy. And I will never, ever forgive myself for letting you walk out that door,"

"Well, you did what any rational person would have done. I mean, hell, I thought I was crazy half the time," Jimmy chuckled softly.

"So...demons, huh?"

"Yeah,"

"Can we...can we even go home, or? What are we gonna do?"

"Max is gonna get you a car. Don't ask me how. And you're gonna take Claire to Carl and Sally's as fast as you can,"

"Wait. What about you?" Amelia shook her head at Jimmy's silence "No. I-I'm not going anywhere without you, Jimmy,"

"Listen to me,"

"Every moment that I'm with you, you and Claire are in danger,"

"I don't care. We are not splitting up again,"

"We don't have a choice,"

"For how long?"

Jimmy sighed as he looked over at Maxima "We'll...cross that bridge when we get to it,"

"We're family," Amelia cried.

"They will kill you, Amelia. And they'll kill Claire. You just have to get as far away from me as you can,"

***

Maxima looked over at Jimmy as his head leaned against the passenger window. She fumbled in her pockets as her cell began to go off "This is Agent Mulder," Maxima scrunched her eyebrows in confusion "Who is this?" she huffed as she nudged Jimmy to wake him up "Hey. It's your wife," Maxima handed Jimmy the phone.

"Amelia?" Jimmy asked. His face went stricken "Oh, my God,"

***

Maxima sighed as she looked over the warehouse that the demon had told Jimmy to go to. "All right, they're expecting you to come alone. That's exactly what you're gonna do." she explained to Jimmy "I'll work my way through the catwalks. I'll be right behind you. All you got to do is stay calm and stall and let me do my job,"

"You've done this before," Jimmy noted.

"With humans, yeah. Demons are a whole other ballfield," Maxima admitted.

"Is that why you're not telling me that nobody will get hurt?"

"I never make that promise, even during my day job,"

Jimmy nodded, "Give me a minute, okay?"

Maxima nodded only to turn and find two demons "Shit," she was dragged into the room where Jimmy was already talking to the demon that was possessing his wife.

"And PS...you should have come alone," The demon said.

"I am alone," Jimmy argued.

"Oh, you're such a liar. Like I didn't think you'd bring Nancy Drew," The demon nodded toward Maxima.

"Damn it," Jimmy muttered.

"Got the knife?" The demon asked.

One of the demons holding Maxima presented Ruby's knife.

"And you know what's funny?" The demon smiled.

"You wearing a soccer mom?" Maxima taunted.

"I was actually bummed to get this detail. Picking up an empty vessel? Sort of like a milk run. Now look who landed in my lap,"

"Congrats, you got me. Now, let them go,"

"Oh, Maxima. It's easy to act chivalrous when your Wonder Girl powers aren't working, huh? Now for the punch line...everybody dies," The demon aimed a gun at Jimmy and shot him in the stomach.

Jimmy fell with a groan.

"Waste little orphan Annie," The Demon ordered.

Maxima's eyes glowed as she threw the demons off her, she pressed her hand against one of the demons, causing his body to sizzle and be engulfed by a golden light. She quickly went over to Jimmy.

"Castiel?" Jimmy asked.

"Just me," Maxima huffed "Glad I told you to wear the vest?"

Jimmy glanced down and pulled back his shirt to reveal the kevlar underneath "You said it wouldn't hurt," he hissed.

"No, I said you wouldn't die. A bruise is much better than bleeding out to death," Maxima turned around as a demon lunged at her. "Go get your daughter," she used her ability to smite the demon, taking the blade back that had fallen from her grasp.

Amelia coughed as she became free from the demon's grip.

Maxima glanced over and noticed Jimmy still in front of Claire.

"Of course, we keep our promises." Claire said "Of course, you have our gratitude. You served us well,"

"Castiel," Maxima realized.

"Your work is done. It's time to go home now...your real home,"

"No," Jimmy said. "No. Claire,"

"She's with me now," Castiel said. "She's chosen. It's in her blood, as it was in yours,"

"Please, Castiel," Jimmy cried. "I mean, just...just take me. Take me, please,"

"I want to make sure you understand. You won't die...or age. If this last year was painful for you, picture a hundred...a thousand more like it,"

"Doesn't matter. You take me. Just take me,"

"As you wish,"

Light engulfed Jimmy as Castiel took over once again.

Castiel stood up and moved over to Maxima, gently taking her hand, but Maxima pulled it away.

Maxima watched as mother and daughter reunited. She shook her head and hurried out of the warehouse.

"Maxima..." Castiel voiced.

"Don't!" Maxima hissed "She was a child! You can't just..." she shook her head. "The reason for this wild goose chase. What were you gonna tell me?"

"I learned my lesson while I was away, Maxima. I serve heaven. I don't serve man. And I certainly don't serve you," Castiel turned to leave, but it was Maxima's turn to grab his arm.

"You may not serve me. But you damn well owe me an explanation for why you were there the night my sister disappeared. For why I am the way that I am,"