On the Head of a Pin

"Ruby will meet us outside Cheyenne. She's been tracking some leads. I know she's not exactly on your Christmas list, but if she can help us get to Lilith..." Sam said as he drove the Impala

"Hey, man, work with Ruby, don't. I don't really give a rat's ass," Dean grumbled

"What's your problem?"

Dean glanced back at the sleeping FBI agent, he was grateful she had been able to fall asleep without him having to drug her "Pamela didn't want anything to do with this and we dragged her back into it, Sam,"

"She knew what was at stake,"

"Oh yeah. Saving the world. And we're doing such a damn good job of it,"

"Dean..."

"Look at what's going on with Max!" Dean shook his head "I'm tired of burying friends, Sam,"

Sam sighed in defeat "Look, we catch a fresh trail..."

"And we follow it, I know. Like I said, I'm just-I'm just getting tired,"

"Well, get angry...for Max,"

***

Maxima and the Winchesters entered the motel room.

"Ah, home crappy home," Dean joked trying to get a smile out of Max who only remained emotionless.

Sam flipped on the lights.

"Mulder, Winchester, and Winchester," Uriel greeted, revealing himself and Castiel waiting inside the room.

"Oh come on." Max grumbled "I'm really not in the mood,"

Uriel ignored Maxima's comment and turned to Dean "You are needed,"

"Needed?" Dean asked "We just got back from needed,"

"Now, you mind your tone with me,"

"No, you mind your damn tone with us." Maxima growled "We just got back from Pamela's funeral." she stood in Uriel's face "Pamela. You know, psychic Pamela? You remember her. Cas, you remember her. You burned her eyes out. Remember that? Good times. Yeah, then she died saving one of your precious seals. So maybe you can stop pushing us around like chess pieces for five freaking minutes!"

Uriel glared at Max "We saved you from that explosion for our purposes,"

"Yeah, what were those again? What exactly did you want from me?"

"Start with gratitude,"

"Maxima, we know this is difficult to understand," Castiel intervened

"And we..." Uriel gave Castiel a significant look "...don't care. Now, seven angels have been murdered, all of them from our garrison. The last one was killed tonight,"

"Demons?" Dean asked "How they doing it?"

"We don't know,"

"I'm sorry, but what do you want us to do about it?" Sam questioned, "I mean, a demon with the juice to ice angels has to be out of our league, right?"

Uriel glanced over at Maxima. "We can handle the demons, thank you very much,"

"Once we find whoever it is," Castiel noted

"So you need our help hunting a demon?" Dean asked

"Not quite. We have Alastair,"

"Great. He should be able to name your trigger man,"

"But he won't talk. Alastair's will is very strong. We've arrived at an impasse,"

"Yeah, well, he's like a black belt in torture. I mean, you guys are out of your league,"

"That's why we've come to his student." Uriel said looking to Dean "You happen to be the most qualified interrogator we've got,"

Dean looked down.

"Dean, you are our best hope," Castiel claimed

"No." Maxima said "No way. You can't ask him to do this, Cas. Not this,"

Uriel walked up to Max "Who said anything about asking?"

Max looked around. The room was empty, besides her and Sam "Damn it!"

***

Sam opened the door for Ruby.

"I can still smell them," Ruby grumbled as she entered the room.

Both her and Maxima had a stare-off until the demon turned towards Sam.

"Serious, Sam, I'm not exactly dying to tangle with angels again,"

"I need you to find out where they took Dean," Sam reasoned

"Not sure I see the problem. You know they have Alastair strung up six ways from Sunday. Dean cuts himself a slice, Al's reduced to a quivering heap, and the good guys get the goods. What's wrong with that?"

"He can't do it," Max spoke up

"Look, I get it. You don't want him going all torture master again,"

"No. I mean, he can't do it. He can't get the job done. Something happened to him downstairs, Ruby. He's not what he used to be. He's not strong enough,"

"And you are?"

***

Ruby chanted, holding a lit candle to the corner of a map.

Sam and Maxima watched the fire spread around the edges.

"Relax. The fire is our friend." Ruby explained "Besides, the only part of the map we need is the 'where's Dean?' part. Out," The flames vanished. The map was charred to unreadability; a small circle in the middle was untouched. "There. Dean's there. It's a good thing angels aren't concerned with hiding their dirty business. Not used to being spied on. I mean, who'd be stupid enough to try?"

Max straightened up from where she was leaning against the wall "I'll be back..."

"Woah...you're going alone?!" Sam argued

"Sam...the angels don't like you all that much thanks to you slutting around with...her. I can reason with them...or at least with Castiel,"

"Max..." Sam started

"No 'buts', Sam. I'm leaving," and with that Maxima vanished.

The Supernatural X-FilesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara