The Monster at the End of This Book

Dean, Sam, and Maxima entered a comic book shop.

Maxima was wearing her FBI suit as the boys wore their copies.

The man behind the counter looked up as they approached and took out their badges. "Uh...can I help you?"

"Sure hope so." Maxima said "Agents Mulder, DeYoung, and Shaw. Just need to ask you a few questions,"

"Notice anything strange in the building, last couple of days?" Sam asked.

"Like what?" The man wondered.

"Well, some other ten ants reported flickering lights," Dean noted.

"Uh, I don't think so. Why?"

"What about noises?" Maxima questioned "Any skittering in the walls? Kind of like rats?"

"And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?" The man asked skeptically.

"What about cold spots?" Sam continued to ask "Feel any sudden drops in temperature?"

"I knew it! You guys are LARPing, aren't you?" The man grinned.

"Excuse me?" Maxima raised an eyebrow.

"You're fans,"

"Fans of what?" Sam asked.

"LARPING,"

Dean looked at Maxima "What is 'LARPing'?"

"Live-Action Role-play," Maxima explained.

"I have no idea what you're talking about,"

"You're asking questions like the buildin'g haunted." The Man said "Like those guys from the books. What are they called? Uh...'Supernatural'. Two guys, use fake IDs with rock aliases, help FBI Agent Mulder, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names? Uh...Steve and Dirk? Uh, Sal and Dane?"

"Sam and Dean?" Sam asked.

"That's it!"

"You're saying this is a book?" Dean questioned.

"Books. It was a series. Didn't sell a lot of copies, though. Kind of had more of an underground cult following." The man went over to a table labeled 'Bargain Bin'.

Sam, Dean, and Maxima followed.

"Let's see. Um...Ah. Yeah." The man handed Max a book "That's the first one, I think,"

Maxima read the cover of the book "'Supernatural' by Carver Edlund." she flipped the book over, reading the back cover "'Along a lonely California highway, a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths. As a lonely Max Mulder, ponders over her sister's mysterious disappearance,"

Sam grabbed the book "Give me that." he looked to the man "We're gonna need all the copies of 'Supernatural' you've got,"

***

Inside the motel, copies of the Supernatural book series were strewn across a bed.

Dean was reclining on the bed, flipping through a book and frowning.

Sam was seated by the window by the window with his laptop.

"This is freakin' insane. How's this guy know all this stuff?" Dean wondered.

"You got me," Sam said.

"Everything is in here. I mean everything. From the racist truck to..." Dean stopped as he looked over at Maxima.

"What?" Max asked.

"Just...stuff..." Dean tossed the book to the side. "What did you find out?"