Lazarus Rising

I groaned as my phone rang "Yeah?"

"Maxima?"

I was still tired to comprehend who was on the other end "Yeah?"

"It's me,"

"Who's 'me'?"

"Dean,"

It was enough for me to wake up and hang up the phone. Within seconds my phone rang again "Who is this?"

"Max, listen to me,"

"This isn't funny. Call me again, and I'll have you arrested," I hung up my phone and slammed my head onto my desk.

***

I was blaring music as I went around my apartment and cleaned. But cleaning turned into a dance session when Jessica Simpson's came on. I was spinning when a reflection caught my eye, a pair of emerald green eyes smirking at me as I stood there shocked. I turned as I saw it wasn't my imagination...

Dean Winchester smirked at me "Surprise,"

"I, I don't..." I found myself walking backward as Dean continued walking towards me.

"Yeah, me neither." his hands brushed against my arms "But here I am,"

Behind my back, I took a silver knife, and lunged forwards and slashed at him. Dean grabbed my arm and twisted it around; I broke the grip and backhanded him in the face. "Max! It's me!"

"My ass!"

Dean shoved a chair between himself and me, holding his hands out "Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Your name is Maxima Mulder. You work with your brother in the X-Files, and...I l.... Max. It's me,"

I lowered the knife, stepped forward slowly. I placed a hand gently on Dean's cheek. Suddenly I slashed again, but Dean quickly subdued and disarmed me. "I am not a shapeshifter!"

"Then you're a Revenant!"

Dean shoved me away, having taken the knife. He held it out in front of him. "Alright. If I was either, could I do this...with a silver knife?" Dean rolled up his left sleeve and grimacing, sliced his arm above the elbow with the knife. A line of blood appeared.

"Dean?" I asked quietly

"That's what I've been trying to tell you,"

I broke and fell to the ground, crying.

Dean came over and hugged me as I wrapped my arms around his that way I knew he would never leave "It's me,"

"But...how did you bust out?"

"I don't know. I just, uh, I just woke up in a pine box..." Dean leaned down as he pulled the corner of my rug up "A devil's trap?"

I shrugged as I stood up "Can't be too careful..." I grabbed us both a beer "Dean. Your chest was ribbons, your insides were slop. And you've been buried four months. Even if you could slip out of hell and back into your meat suit-"

"I know, I should look like a Thriller video reject,"

"What do you remember?" I asked as I laid with him on the couch

"Not much. I remember I was a Hellhound's chew toy, and then...lights out. Then I come to six feet under, that was it. Sam's number's not working. He's, uh...he's not..."

"Oh, he's alive. As far as I know,"

"Good...Wait, what do you mean, as far as you know?"

"Well for one, you told me to come back to the Bureau, and two, I haven't talked to him for months, except for the occasional call from police asking about a multitude of aliases I'm sure he's been using. I've tried calling him...but it just goes to voicemail. These last months haven't been exactly easy, you know. For him or me. We had to buy you,"

"Why did you bury me, anyway?"

"Bobby wanted you salted and burned. But...Sam wouldn't have it,"

"And you?"

"I sided with Sam for a bit, but then after a couple of nights of waking up screaming...I realized Bobby was right,"

"Well, I'm glad Sam won that one,"

"He said you'd need a body when he got you back somehow. That's about all he said,"

"What do you mean?" Dean asked suspiciously

"He was quiet. Real quiet. And then he just took off. Wouldn't return mine or Bobby's calls. I tried to find him, but he didn't want to be found..." Dean shifted as he began to stand up "and I went back to the Bureau,"

"Oh, damn it, Sammy,"

"What?"

"Oh, he got me home okay. But whatever he did, it was bad mojo,"

"What makes you so sure?"

"You should have seen the grave site. It was like a nuke went off. And then there was this...this force, this presence, I don't know, but it, it blew past me at a fill-up joint. And then this." he stripped his jacket, pulled up his sleeve to reveal a brand.

"What in the hell?" I asked as I stood up to get a better look at it.

"It was like a demon just yanked me out. Or rode me out,"

"But why?"

"To hold up their end of the bargain,"

I looked up at him shocked "You think Sam made a deal,"

"It's what I would have done,"

***

"I assume you'll want to drive," I told Dean as I pulled the keys out of my right pocket and tossed them at Dean, who caught them easily.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Dean chuckled. He approached the Impala and ran a hand along it lovingly "Hey, sweetheart, did you miss me?"

I leaned against the passenger side "Admit it you only came here for the car,"

Dean walked over to me, easily towering over me. I smiled as he leaned in and I wrapped my arms around his neck as we kissed. "So...where we going?" Dean asked as we got into the Impala.

"We're going to go talk to some people who can help us track Sam,"