Are You There God? It's me, Maxima Mulder

Bobby was sitting at his desk with a pile of books in front of him. Sam was sitting in a chair in the opposite corner talking to Dean, who was standing, as Maxima had distanced herself.

"Well, then tell me what else it could be," Sam argued

"Look, all I know is I was not groped by an angel," Dean argued

"Okay, look, Dean. Why do you think this Castiel would lie to you about it?"

"Maybe he's some kind of demon. Demons lie,"

Max finally looked up at the boys "A demon who's immune to salt rounds and devil's traps..and Ruby's knife?"

"Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!" Sam argued

"Don't you think that if angels were real, that some hunter somewhere would have seen one...at some point...ever?"

"It's like aliens, Dean..." Maxima explained. "Would you believe them if they say they had seen one?"

"I'm trying to come up with a theory here. Okay? Work with me,"

"Dean, we have a theory," Sam said

"Yeah, one with a little less fairy dust on it, please,"

"Oka, look. I'm not saying we know for sure. I'm just saying that I think we-"

"Okay, okay. That's the point. We don't know for sure, so I'm not gonna believe that this thing is a freaking Angel of the Lord because it says so!"

"You three chuckleheads want to keep arguing religion, or do you want to come take a look at this?" Bobby asked

Sam, Dean, and Maxima walked over to Bobby's desk.

"I got stacks of lore-Biblical, pre-Biblical. Some of it's in damn cuneiform. It all says an angel can snatch a soul from the pit," Bobby explained

"What else?" Dean asked

"What else, what?"

"What else could do it?"

"Airlift your ass out of the hot box? As far as I can tell, nothing,"

"Dean, this is good news," Sam said

"How?" Dean asked

"Because for once, this isn't just another round of demon crap. I mean, maybe you were saved by one of the good guys, you know?"

"Okay. Say it's true. Say there are angels. Then what? There's a God?"

"At this point, Vegas money's on yeah," Bobby said

"I don't know, guys,"

"Okay, look." Maxima said "I know you're not all choirboy about this stuff, but this is becoming less and less about faith and more and more about proof,"

"Proof?"

"Yes,"

"Proof that there's a God out there that actually gives a crap about me personally? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it,"

"Why not?" Sam asked

"Because why, me? If there is a God out there, why would he give a crap about me?"

"Dean-" Max started

"I mean, I've saved some people, okay? I figured that made up for the stealing and the ditching chicks. But why do I deserve to get saved? I'm just a regular guy,"

"Apparently, you're a regular guy that's important to the man upstairs," Sam said

"Well, that creeps me out. I mean, I don't like getting singled out at birthday parties, much less by...God,"

"Okay, well, too bad, Dean, because I think he wants you to strap on your party hat,"

"Fine. What do we know about angels?"

Bobby picked up a pile of fat and weighty looking books and put them in front of Dean. "Start reading,"

Dean looked at the pile of books and turned towards Sam. "You're gonna get some pie," Dean grabbed a book from the top of the pile.

"Add some cookie dough...and I don't mean the ice cream," Max said as she grabbed another book from the pile.

Dean looked over at her, with a questioning look.

"You're not the only one questioning why an angel saved their ass,"

***

Sam pulled up to Bobby's house. Bobby approached the car window.

"Keep the engine running," Bobby told him

"Why? What's going on?" Sam asked

"I got a friend one state over-Olivia Lowry. I've been trying to reach her for three days on this angel thing. It's not like her to ignore this many calls,"

"Olivia Lowry-a hunger, right?"

"Yeah. We're gonna go check on her. You guys follow me,"

Dean approached the driver's side of the car, as Bobby headed to his own car. "Scoot over. Yeah." Dean grabbed the bag of food Sam brought back and looked inside it. "Dude?"

"Yeah?" Sam asked

"Where's the pie?" Dean went to take the cookie but Maxima grabbed it through the open driver side window.

"I'll take that," she started to head back for Bobby's.

Sam leaned his head out of the Impala "You're not coming?"

Max looked back at the boys "I'm gonna stay here, finish some research,"

Sam looked back at Dean as he reversed out of the lot "And you're okay with this?"

"Max is a big girl, she can handle herself,"

***

I rubbed my eyes after reading the current book and headed into the kitchen to grab a beer. The lights flickered and my breath became visible. I closed the fridge and turned, startled to see Henriksen.

"Hi, Max. It's been a while,"