When the Levee Breaks [2]

"You willingly signed up to be the angels' bitch?" Dean questioned.

"You need Sam, Dean. What other option was there?!" Maxima argued. "Trust the angels or let Sam become a demon!"

Bobby shrugged. "You gotta see her point in this,"

Dean gave Bobby a deadpan look. His face went from serious to concern. "You hear that?"

Even Maxima couldn't help but blanch at the silence that filled the room.

"That's a little too much nothing," Bobby agreed.

The trio hurried down to the panic room and saw Sam sprawled on the floor in a spasm.

"What if he's faking?" Dean wondered.

"You think he would?" Maxima voiced.

"I think he'd do anything,"

Sam was sent across the room by an invisible force.

"That ain't faking," Bobby argued.

Dean and Bobby hurried into the panic room and grabbed hold of Sam.

"We're gonna have to tie him down for his safety," Bobby reasoned. "Dean? Are you with me? Dean! Before he has another fit!"

"Yeah, yeah!" Dean said, "Let's just get it over with!"

***

"I'm gonna ask one more time." Bobby sighed as Dean and Maxima sat on the couch of his study. "Are we sure we're doing the right thing?"

"Bobby, you saw what was happening to him down there." Dean pointed out, "The demon blood is killing him,"

"No, it isn't." Maxima realized quietly, "We are,"

Dean looked over at Maxima in shock. "What?"

"I'm sorry to be the one to point out the obvious, but we're killing him," Maxima repeated. "Keeping him locked up down there. This 'cold turkey' thing isn't working. If...if he doesn't get what he needs...soon...Sam's not going to last much longer,"

"No," Dean said sternly. "I'm not giving him demon blood. I won't do it,"

"And if he dies?" Maxima challenged.

"Then at least he dies, human! I would die for him in a second! But I won't let him do this to himself. I can't. I guess I found my line. I won't let my brother turn into a monster,"

***

Maxima cocked her gun shakily as she aimed it at Sam.

Sam turned around from the Impala to look at her.

Maxima shook her head. "Sam. Come back inside with me, please,"

"No," Sam said.

"Damn it, Sam,"

"You won't shoot me, Max," Sam said as he walked closer to Maxima.

"Don't test me,"

"You won't do it," Sam moved Maxima's arm down and moved a hand through her hair. "You can't do it,"

Maxima shook her head as tears swam out of her eyes.

Sam smoothed away what tears he could with his thumb, lifting Maxima's chin and meeting her with a kiss.

Maxima's eyes fluttered closed as they continued to kiss. Her defenses lowered enough that she didn't suspect when Sam had a tight grip on her hair.

Sam used the distraction to pull harshly on Maxima, causing her head to fall backward on the car behind her, with enough force to knock her out.