Getting Closer

“What’s going on?” I heard Lyle ask from the living room.

“We have to start watching what we say around the kid.” Tina groaned.

“What?”

“He’s telling kids to shut the fuck up at school and I got bitched at for it.”

“Robby Peterson wouldn’t shut the fuck up.” I heard River’s little voice say.

“River you don’t say that.” Lyle said in a soft voice.

“Riwy says it.”

“Riley is a big girl.”

“Dylan says I’m a big boy.”

“Yeah but Riley is bigger then you so she can do some things you can’t.” it was quiet for a moment.

“Shut the fuck up. I do what I want.” I heard his little feet scurry off. I giggled to myself.

“Who keeps leaving him alone with Riley?” Lyle sighed.

“What the fuck happened to your shirt? Where’s Riley?”

“Answer my question. And do you really need to use the word fuck in every sentence? I mean really? It’s kind of annoying.”

“Answer the fucking question.”

“Stop saying the F word!”

“FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!”

“GOD, IT’S LIKE TALKING TO A THREE YEAR OLD!” I sniffled and whipped the tears off my face when I heard the door creak open and felt a tiny dip in the bed.

“Riwry what’s a matter?”

“Nothing.” I mumbled into my knees.

“Did Ricky and Eli make you angry again?” I huffed. I forgot to ask Lyle about that. I didn’t answer River I just got lost in my own thoughts. “Well it’s okay.” I heard him mumble. He crawled over to me and gave me a smile hug. He patter my head and placed a tiny kiss on my forehead. “goodnight.” He mumbled and walked out of the room.

That was a weird little kid.

*

“Hello?” I whispered into the phone as I woke up from a deep and dark sleep.

“Hey where are you?”

“Ryder?”

“Yeah, where you at?”

“In my bed why?”

“I want to hang out today.”

“Hi Riley!” I heard someone yell on the other side of the phone.

“Who the fuck is that?”

“Emma. So we can chill at your place?”

“What?”

“Great we’re heading over.”

“How the fuck do you know where I live.”

“See you in 10.” I groaned and put my head back down on my pillow. I felt a familiar heat on my back. I smiled and snuggled closer to it. I sighed relishing in the warmth of Lyle.

Oh fuck Lyle!

“Lyle!” I sprang up and pushed him trying to wake him up. “Lyle, Lyle wake up.”

“Hmm? Five more minutes please.” He mumbled pulling me closer.

“No, baby you got to get.”