Healthy Love

“What was it like getting high with Mr. Kramer?” Ryder asked.

“It was actually pretty fun.” I mumbled trying to get the awkward shape of the elephant’s trunk.

“Here,” Ryder wiped his hands off and took the pencil from me. “There is a slight bend here.” He mumbled erasing my lines and making the trunk look perfect without a single trouble. I frowned when he handed it back to me.

“I suck at this shit.”

“No you don’t.” he smiled.

“Shut the hell up, yes I do.” He laughed and went back to his clay.

“Whatever,” he mumbled. “I think it’s pretty good.” I chuckled and rolled my eyes.

“Riley?” a girl at the door looked around the class confused. “Riley Swan?”

“What?” I called back. She jumped when she saw me. She gave me a shy smile and walked over. She handed me a piece of paper.

“This is your new schedule you’re supposed to follow that starting Monday.” She gave me another shy smile and continued to awkwardly stand next to me. I looked at her confused wondering if I was supposed to say something or give something to her.  Then I noticed who she was staring at. “Hi, Ryder.” She said batting her eyes.

“Hi Cindy.”

“That’s really good.” She said nodding to his project.

“Thanks,” he grumbled without even bothering to look up at her. Ryder is such a friendly guy, she must really annoy him for him to be acting so rude towards her.

“Hey,” I said stealing her attention. “Did you want anything else?”

“Oh! Mr. Clark wanted me to give you this pass to come see him next period.” She said handing me and orange slip. I scoffed and took the pen from her hand. “Hey!” I wrote him a little message on the back.

“You give that to Mr. Clark.” She gave me a confused glance and looked down at the note. Her face turned beat red.

“I’m not giving this to him.” I grabbed the dumb bimbo’s wrist and brought her close.

“Do it or I’ll fuck you up like I did Sadie.” I whispered. Her eyes grew as she swallowed her gum. “Do you want 17 stiches in the side of your head and a concussion?” she shook her head. “Then give him the fucking note.” She nodded and hurried out of the classroom with the slip close to her chest. I went back to drawing my elephant.

“What the hell was that?” Ryder asked cutting through the silence.

“I didn’t take my bi-polar meds this morning so I’m a little temperamental. Get over it.” He chuckled.

“What did the note say?”

“I told him to kiss my ass.” He laughed.

“Sometimes I wonder why I keep trying to maintain my friendship with a person who obviously hates being around other people, and its moments like these that remind me why.” I looked at him and giggled. “Was that a laugh?” I caught myself smiling.

“I don’t hate being around you.” He smiled at me, that charming lopsided smile of his.

“I don’t hate being around you either Riley Swan.”

“Why do you always say my full name?” I asked just out of curiosity.

“Because it’s an amazing name.” he smiled. “Now let me see this new schedule of yours. Oh…confusing.” I laughed as I watched him study the paper. “You have 6th through 7th period with Mr. Clark Monday.” I rolled my eyes. “And then 8th through 9th with Kramer.”