Snooping

It was late when I got home. Everyone seemed to be asleep except for River who was staring at my scorpion on the counter. Lyle was asleep on the couch, I sighed a little disappointed he wasn’t in our room.

“Hey.” I whispered as I walked into the kitchen.

“Hi.” River whispered back. “All those chocolates is for you, but I ated one.” He said not sounding sorry at all. In fact it was like he was just telling me so I wouldn’t be surprised when I opened it.

“That’s not nice.”

“I was hungrys.” He mumbled tapping the glass making the poor insect flinch.

“Don’t do that.” I said moving the container away.

“What’s you gonna name it?”

“I don’t know.” I mumbled taking a brownie from the container.

“Why is Ly-Ly laying on the couch?”

“I don’t know.”

“Yes you do.” He mumbled and pulled the scorpion back towards him. “Mr. Vick, my mommy’s friend, used to sweep on the couch.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah…”

“You’re a weird kid River.”

“Can I hab a cookie.” He asked.

“No.” he frowned and reached over and took one anyway. I gasped. “You little fucker!”

“I do what I want.” I slapped his hand and stuffed the cookie in my mouth. “Meany!” I giggled and rolled my eyes. I went to put the brownies away when I saw the little card Lyle left me.

I’ll never give up on you…never

Why did he have to be so perfect? I don’t know how to be in a relationship with someone as thoughtful and caring as him. I wonder if my life was a little different. If I had fallen in love with a normal person and had a normal break-up would I have ran into Lyle and fallen in love with him. Would our relationship be healthy and strong? Would we even be in a relationship? That thought scares me.

“Riwy is you Okays? Dylan says yous not.” River mumbled.

“Yeah well Dylan needs to stop talking to five year olds.”

“I’m six!”

“You’re five.” I kept thinking about Her and Sadie. I wonder what she told Sadie about me. I mean it’s no coincidence that one minute she’s scared shitless of me and the next she’s calling me by my full name and smiling at me as if she knows something I don’t. I can’t let this happen. We’ve all fought too hard and have been on the run for too long to have that stupid bitch and that evil excuse of a human being she calls her step mother to destroy it. I know what I need to do.

“River go to bed.”

“Can I have a cookie? Pwease!”

“Why are you up anyway? It’s way past you bedtime.”

“You wasn’t home so I stayed wake to make sure you was okays cause sometimes my mommy comes home late and shes nots okays.”

“I’m okay River, no go to sleep.” He sighed and hopped out of the chair.

“Dylan says yous is not.”

“Go to sleep River.”

“I’m going!” he grumbled stomping off towards the fort. I rolled my eyes and walked over to Tina’s room.