Tough Choices

“Lyle you can’t do this? It’s suicide. We are wanted by vicious gangsters.”

“I know.”

“You can’t go!”

“I’m a grown man I can and will do anything I please.” I frowned.

“Lyle this isn’t a game. This is serious. You could get us all killed.”

“Calm down I won’t get caught.” He grumbled packing his suitcase.

“What’s the point of going back anyway? What will you get out of it? You hated your dad he was a total asshole. Why would you even want to go?”  

“You wouldn’t get it.” he mumbled.

“Try me.”

“Look Riley this is what I want to do. It shouldn’t matter why. You’re my girlfriend you should support me.”

“I’m not going to support a dangerous and reckless decision like this.”

“Look my father left me something in his will. I have to find out what he gave me.”

“No you really don’t.” I growled. I went to close the door to make sure nobody heard what I was about to say. “This man abused you for years. Why the fuck would you want anything from him?”

“You know I thought you of all people would be a little bit more understanding.” I froze. “If Chris died wouldn’t you want to go to his funeral?” my heart stopped at the thought of such a powerful man being six feet in the ground. Would I want to go to his funeral? He’s done terrible things to me but here I am tearing up at just the thought. “Exactly.” Lyle grumbled.

“You can’t go.”

“This isn’t a decision you get to make for me Riley.” He growled.

“How are you going to get there? You can’t take the truck.”

“Dan is going to let me use his car.” My heart broke.

“You talked to Mr. Harte already?” I whispered. Does he really feel like he can’t talk to me?

“Yeah, he said I could use his car didn’t ask any questions.” I frowned. “What?”

“Nothing.” I mumbled.

“Baby I’m going to be okay.”

“You can’t go.”

“Riley I’ve made my decision. I’m going. Now you don’t have to go with me if you don’t want to but I would love it if you came.” He whispered taking my face in his hands. I frowned not really wanting to say not but…this just wasn’t something I’m willing to do. He sighed. “You have until tomorrow night at 11:30 then I’m leaving.”

“Lyle.”

“You can’t change my mind Riley.” His voice hard and cold. I groaned and went to lay down on the bed to go to sleep. I’ll deal with this bullshit in the morning. The next day at school I walked into Mr. Kramer’s room for my helping period annoyed and burned out.

“You looked stressed want some alcohol?” he chuckled.

“Yes please.” I said taking the bottle from him.

“What’s wrong?”

“My life is falling apart.” I sighed. “What happened to you Mr. Kramer?” I asked just out of curiosity. “Why are you in Helmsdale?”

“I witnessed a murder.” He mumbled painting his picture.

“Another one?”

“Yeah, I’ve got a nasty habit of seeing things I shouldn’t.” I laughed.