4. Maybe Baby

"I know that sounds so crazy and out there, but I'm not sure how else to say it you know?" I was in shock. Her she was a woman I was sure I would never see again standing on my door step. "Is he here?" she whispered. "Can I see him?" she asked with a pleading smile. I was tempted to slam the door in her face but...then again River was her kid.

"Riley who is it?" Dylan shouted.

"No one." I said pushing her back some, I stepped out of the house and closed the door. I took this moment to really look her over and I frowned. She looked different, maybe it was the cloths she was wearing. She had obviously taken a shower, finally. But that was about it. "You're joking right?"

"Please let me see my son."

"No," I scoffed. "Go home Misty and don't come back."

"My son is in there and I have every right to see him."

"Yeah, after you dropped him off on a couple of perfect strangers. God knows what we could've done to him! We could've been two murderous women for all you know? We could've beat him, molested him, sold him, or just abandoned him on that beach like you did." She frowned. "You didn't know shit about us, but you thought it was okay to leave your kid with us so you could go get high?"

"NO, I was busy getting myself cleaned up." She smiled at me, flashing her gross teeth. "I got a nice little place for us to stay, I'm looking for a job and I'm sober now."

"You're high right now." I scoffed in disgust. "Get off my porch." I sighed turning to go back inside but she grabbed my arm.

"Not until I see me son. Give him back to me you cold bitch." She yelled tears glassing her eyes over. "You can't do this to me."

"What's going on?" I jumped at Lyle's deep authoritative voice. I watched as he put his helmet down on his seat. "Who are you?" he asked looking Misty over with confusion.

"Misty," she sniffled letting go of my arm. I rubbed my wrist as I glared at her. "I'm River's mom. Who are you?" Lyle's eyes grew with surprise. The door opened behind.

"Riley who are you talking to out here?" Tina asked leaning up against the door frame.

"River's mother apparently." Lyle sighed rubbing the back of his neck.

"Can I please just see my son? That's all I want." She sighed. Tina glared at Misty and crossed her arms. I didn't feel like dealing with this. It was obvious none of us were going to allow the woman who already abandoned River once get the chance to do it again. I turned around and walked passed Tina and into the house.

"Don't let her anywhere near River. She's high as shit and I don't know what on." I said as I passed Tina. She nodded and continued to stand by the door. Lyle followed me into the house. Dylan watched the two of us walk in and read the energy in the room. He bit his lip and stood up.

"I'm going to go deal with our uninvited guest. Ryder why don't you go watch River. Give them some time alone." He whispered. Ryder nodded and smiled as the both of us as they left.

"What's up with them?" Lyle asked.

"I don't know." I sighed walking into out bedroom just not looking forward to this conversation at all.

"You okay?" he asked dropping his bag by the bed with a sigh of relief.

"How were the meetings?" I asked closing the door to our bedroom. I didn't see this conversation going well.

"Boring." He grumbled. "One of the Senior English teachers feels I'm too lax with my curriculum. So now I have to start giving out more tests and teaching them principles instead of allowing these kids to think freely and create their own ideas. Let's not prepare them for college let's just shove facts and rules down their throat until they throw up, yeah that's good teaching." He grumbled throwing himself on the bed.