Picking Sides

Lyle slept on the couch. He was quiet and timid around me all morning. I was still in shock over what Ryder had told me over the phone last night. It goes without saying after everything that happened last night, I wasn't really in the mood for morning conversation anyway. He had called Michael and he should be in Helmsdale at around 12 this afternoon.

"How'd you sleep Riley?" Dylan asked. I cringed at his face. He had a scratch on his lip, a black eye, and a bandage on his obviously broken nose. All injuries were from me. He looks like he had just joined the fight club when in reality he just lives with a bipolar psychopath.

"Fine." I mumbled.

"No nightmares?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Where'd you get that ring?" Tina asked nodding towards my finger. Lyle looked at me hesitantly. After my conversation with Ryder last night I thought about Troy. I haven't talked to him in a while, and I probably should. He's missed a lot. I remember the ring he gave me before he left. He said it kept away nightmares. So I put it on before I went to sleep. I didn't realize I was still wearing it.

"Troy gave it to me." I said taking off my ring. "He said it would keep the nightmares away. I haven't been wearing it." I mumbled. They all nodded and continued to eat breakfast. River was still in the fort fast asleep. He was so exhausted due to the craziness that occurred last night. This was all my fault. The least I can do it work on fixing it. "Ryder contacted my dad." They all froze and stared at me in awe. "He'll be in town later today. Ryder is taking me with him to meet him for the first time...well his first time today after school at Freedom Park."

"Does your dad know you'll be there?" Tina asked. I shrugged. I didn't think to ask that question. I guess we'll just have to find out.

"Are you okay?" Dylan asked.

"No." I sighed. They didn't say anything. "But I'll manage." Lyle stood up and grabbed his bag.

"See you fourth period." He mumbled and left.

"What time are you meeting your dad?" Tina asked.

"Around 12:30." I grumbled. "And don't call him that." They gave me a weird look. "He's not my dad. He's just Michael."

"He really hurt you didn't he?" Dylan asked.

"He left me on the door step of an orphanage twice." I growled.

"What the fuck?" Tina gasped.

"Yeah." I mumbled as my phone buzzed. "Ryder is going to give me rides to school from now on."

"Why?"

"He's closer and I don't want to make you late to work."

"Doesn't he pick up his girlfriend and that other girl?" Dylan asked confused.

"They broke up. Max rides to school with Emma." I said grabbing my bag.

"Why'd they break up?" Tina asked. I groaned at all the questions.

"She was cheating on him with an older married man. They would have sex when he gave her rides home from babysitting his children. I told her to stop because it was wrong. She didn't listen to me. Yes Ryder knows that I knew about it. He doesn't blame me because Emma told me she would tell him on her own, which she did. Max's dad is a cop the one that was over here to the other day asking questions about Sadie. Ryder lives with Mr. Kramer now because his parents kicked him out when he confuted them on their shitty parenting. His mom filed a report on his brother and the many women he assaulted. Because of this the police might come by later. If they ask I'm not home and you're busy. Any more questions?" they both raised their hands. "Didn't think so, I'll be back later." I slammed the door and jumped into Ryder's car. "Go before they come outside." He slammed his foot on the gas and peeled out.