Alter Egos

“Hello!” I heard a woman shout as I walked into the store.

“Hi.” I yelled back.

“Welcome to Throwback!” I saw a tall redheaded woman covered in tattoos walk out from the back. She gave me a bright and warm smile. “Can I help you with anything?”

“Um, I came to turn my application in.” I said handing it to her. She took it and stared at it for a little bit. Then she looked at me. She did that for a minute as she bit her lip, it made me feel a little uncomfortable.

“Riley…” she drawled out. “You’re the girl that Ryder was telling me about. The pretty girl that never smiles.” She tilted her head as she looked at me. “When can you start?”

“Um…you’re not going to look that over or anything?” I asked confused. She puckered her lip and flipped the paper looking it over again.

“Eh, I already looked it over once. It’s no big deal. Ryder likes you and he’s a great judge of character. So when can you start?”

“Tomorrow?” I shrugged.

“How about five? I can put you on shift with Ryder.”

“Is he the only one that works here?”

“No,” I waited for her to continue but I guess she wasn’t going to.

“Yeah I can start at five.”

“Great. Wear whatever you want as long as I can’t see you naughty parts and I’ll have a name tag for you when you come in.” I nodded and she smiled at me. “Welcome to throwback!”

*

“She just gave you the job right on the spot?” Tina asked in shock.

“Yeah, looked at my application, shrugged, and asked when I could start working.”

“She sounds awesome!” Tina giggled. I rolled my eyes. She reminded me a lot of Tina, but I had a feeling that if they ever met they wouldn’t get along.

“Sounds like a cool place to work.” Lyle smiled. “Who’s this Ryder kid though?”

“The kid I tackled at the pizzeria.” I explained.

“The weird one that stared at you for a really long time?” I nodded and Lyle scoffed.

“Lyle calm down, Riley has always had a thing for older men.” Dylan teased.

“Shut up Dylan.” I said rolling my eyes. “I start at 5.”

“Let me take you.” Lyle smiled.