Letters

“When did you and Troy get so close?” Ryder asked after Lyle left and Troy went to sit in his car. I shrugged.

“We’re not. I just met him yesterday.” I grumbled. He held up his hands in surrender.

“Watch out for him is all. He’s bad news.” He said putting the rest of the brownie balls away.

“You’re talking to a girl whose been to jail.” He laughed.

“You know talking to you makes it easy to forget about your past.”

“Why, is it because I don’t fit the stereotype of a delinquent child?”

“No, you do. You’re just…really cool. It’s easy to forget sometimes. Hey look we’re really dead right now; you can go talk to your new best friend if you want to.”

“Are you jealous?” I teased.

“Yeah a little. First my girlfriend is fantasizing about the hunky new teacher, and now my new best friend has made some other new friend. I’m being replaced left and right.”

“Oh shut up.” I shook my head and gave him my apron. The bell on the door rang, I looked up and was a little surprised to see Emma.

“What are you doing here sunshine?” Ryder beamed. It was obvious he loved that girl. She smiled and leaned on the counter.

“Me and Max thought we’d drop by on our way to the library to study.” Emma looked over at me and smiled. “Are you getting off? You can come and study with us now.” I flinched.

“I can’t…” I scrambled to find an excuse when she gave me those disappointed puppy dog eyes. “I promised Troy I’d sit down and talk with him.”

“Troy Hickman?” she asked confused, I nodded. “About what,”

“Emma I don’t really think that’s any of our business.” Ryder smiled nervously. I saw Emma fiddle with her fingers as she mumbled something under her breath three times.

“Troy eats ass.” My eyes grew with shock when I heard what had came out of her mouth.

“What did you say?” I gasped. She looked up at me with such sorrow and guilt as she covered her mouth.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to…I”

“Emma, have a cupcake.” Ryder cut in and shoved some food in his girlfriend’s hands. She nodded and took a bite. She smiled and it seemed as if everything had gone back to normal. That was the weirdest thing I had ever seen, and that was saying something. I opened my mouth to make a comment on it but Ryder beat me too it. “Shouldn’t you go out and talk to Troy?” he smiled. “He’s probably waiting on you.” He was trying to get me out of here. Emma quickly swallowed her bite and shook her head like a mad man.