Mr. Thornton

Lyle had used his second sick day. I hadn't seen him since the night we...he left. The night of the date. I ran into Eddie once since then but that was only yesterday. We had a shift together and to say it was awkward would be...an understatement. It was like he didn't even remember it had happened. No he remember...he just remembered in a different way. I walked into work not expecting him to be there. I ran into him as he was leaving. He smiled at me and pushed the hair that fell into my face away.

"Hello beautiful." He smiled. I cringed and took a step back. "How was school?"

"Fine." Looking at his face made my stomach churn. His once sweet and pretty blue eyes only reminded me of the helplines I felt. The pain.

"I had a real nice time on our date. Max really seemed to like you, so did Ruby."

"Yeah..." I mumbled looking down at my shoes.

"You should stop by again." he tilted my chin up to look at him. I could see the flecks of panic in his eyes. I felt his nervous energy coming off him in waves. I made him nervous? He still cares about what I think of him?

"I don't know. My boyfriend."

"I thought you two broke up?" Panic and worry filled his face.

"It's complicated."

"Oh, even after what we shared."

"What?"

"Never mind." He smiled. "Are you okay? You seem a little...off."

"I'm just tired. I'm feeling a little sick."

"Oh...make sure to get lost of rest. And stay off your feet."

"I'll do my best." He left and I cried.

Mr. Harte was also arrested in class yesterday for the statutory r@pe of Sadie Thornton. But that wasn't the only news buzzing around the town.

"Riley!" Tina screamed storming into the house. Dylan muted the episode of Spongebob we were watching. "I asked you...I begged you not to do it. We could've of found another way."

"What are you talking about?" Dylan asked confused.

"This!" she growled slamming yesterday's newspaper on the table. "They broke the news to us at work today. Mr. Thornton died Sunday night."

"What the fuck." Dylan gasped gabbing the paper. The headline read tragic billion dollar accident. Bill Thornton takes the fall of a life time. "You pushed him down the stairs."

"I didn't do this."

"Are you fucking kidding me? You expect me to believe that the day after Carla comes to our house, and threatens us, he just dies? It's all just one big coincidence that his death is an accident just like she said."

"Yes!"

"I'm not stupid Riley." She growled.

"I didn't kill him!" I said desperate to prove my innocence. "Carla must have done it or something. But this wasn't me. I swear to you."

"Don't lie to me. Riley I begged you not do this. There was another way." She cried.

"And I promise you. I didn't do it." I said. "I was in my room crying all night. There was no way I could've snuck out."

"Shit Tina she was." Dylan sighed putting the paper down. "Maybe this is just god giving us a break."

"This is too fucking perfect." Tina scowled.