Listen

“Bonfire on the beach after the game! Hi Riley!” Emma smiled at me as I walked into the building. “Take a flyer.” I took a piece of her brightly colored paper and laughed at it. “It’s going to be really fun. Are you coming?”

“Ryder make these?” I scoffed.

“Yeah, will you be there?”

“I kind of have to be it’s in my backyard.” She scrunched her brow and looked down at the address on the flyer.

“Oh yeah it is.” She giggled. “Are you coming to the auditions again today? It’s the actual acting part.”

“I have to put in some extra hours because of the party so I won’t be able to, but I’m sure you’ll do great.” Her eyes lit up when I said that.

“You really think so?” She asked. I hadn’t realized how much my opinion mattered to her. I smiled and nodded. “Hey Riley.”

“Yeah,”

“Do you…uh…” she held up her hands and started counting her words. “Can you take me to the par…bonfire? Ryder is working, and max can’t go.” She smiled.

“Why can’t Max go?” I asked just curious. She shrugged not thinking much of it.

“Hi Mr. Clark.” She cheered. He walked in the door behind me and smiled at the both of us.

“Good morning ladies.”

“Morning Mr. Clark. Can I ask you a question?” I asked.

“Sure come with me to class.”

“Riley!” Emma called after me.

“Yeah I’ll give you a ride Emma no problem!”

“Thanks!”

“What’s this?” Lyle asked taking the flyer from my hand.

“It’s nothing,” I mumbled. “Hey, I need you to get over whatever it is you have against Dylan.”

“I don’t want to talk to you about this right now.” He whispered.

“We don’t need to talk about it.” I said coming to stop in front of his room. I looked around for anyone listening. “I love you, and no one else. You don’t need to be threatened by anyone who finds me attractive. Man up and have some fucking faith in me. Dylan is not a threat to our relationship. Grow up and apologize.” He glared at me and went to reply when the bell rang. “See you later.” I whispered and made my way to class.

***

“Riley can I have your number?” Emma asked as I sat down at the lunch table. I watched her as she continuously tapped her fingers on the table. Every day she did this, it was becoming more and more irritating by the minute. I won’t say anything though…she can’t help it. I wonder how she gets that under control during her play auditions and practices. I handed her my phone without even thinking about it.

“Thanks for picking her up Riley.” Ryder smiled.

“No problem.” I said stuffing a piece of bread in my mouth. “Why can’t you come Max?”

“I’m visiting Troy.” She grumbled. I was surprised by her answer.

“Really?” I asked shocked. She nodded. “Tell him I said hi.” She gave me an equally surprised look and nodded. Sadie walked by our table and stalled. Emma put her head down and started to tap her fingers faster.

“Freak.” Sadie mumbled. I stood up and Sadie jumped back. She sneered and walked to her table. I sat down and smiled at Emma reassuringly. I could see her let out a breath of relief. Why does she torture this girl?